ICS, Territory, and War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICS, Territory, and War

Yea, yea, yet another ICS thread, but I couldn't find anything on the topic of ICS vs Territory gathering.

1. After the first b-drones warning, when you ICS, are you more concerned about the fast spread or developing the land before you drop a base ? (edited 8-4-04)

2. ICS while incredibly fast, seems to be lacking in the territory gathering department. Are there instances where you will forsake ICS and push for territory? I have found this to be the only good use for sea bases. Use sea bases to 'land grab' all the area around your bases to prevent the AI from parking their own sea bases off your coast. This allows more freedom to raise land increasing your own land mass.

3. When you do go to war while ICSing, what do you do with captured enemy bases that are 'off the grid'?
    Last edited by livid imp; August 4, 2004, 17:01.
    "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
    "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
    "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Re: ICS, Territory, and War

Originally posted by livid imp
    Yea, yea, yet another ICS thread, but I couldn't find anything on the topic of ICS vs Territory gathering.

1. When you ICS are you more concerned about the fast spread, or developing the land before you drop a base?
    I will not delay planting a CP for the sake of developing its land. I will plant bases in unproductive terrain, to develop it later.

2. ICS while incredibly fast, seems to be lacking in the territory gathering department. Are there instances where you will forsake ICS and push for territory? I have found this to be the only good use for sea bases. Use sea bases to 'land grab' all the area around your bases to prevent the AI from parking their own sea bases off your coast. This allows more freedom to raise land increasing your own land mass.
    Yes, sometimes I will leap base sites to grab territory, particularly to block a choke point or a some particularly nice terrain, but this is uncommon. The AI doesn't even matter. I don't care if AIs put bases off my coast, they're just easy probe targets. I've sometimes allowed my bases to be captured for the explicit purpose of isolating but not conquering them, and probe raping them for the rest of the game (sort of like the drone riot revolt exploit, but perfectly legit).

3. When you do go to war while ICSing, what do you do with captured enemy bases that are 'off the grid'?
    Keep them. They often don't adjoin my own bases anyway. If I can give them back to submissive pact mates, I might.
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

Hmm, thanks Chaos for being the ONE responder to my query. Come on people, I know more people than just Chaos use ICS. Let's see your two cents.
      "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
      "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
      "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

ICS ????? Never !!??

Seriously though .. .

My ICS style is focused on getting the bases down fast so I will not delay for fungus or rocky squares and will alter my pattern to use specials, monoliths, rivers AND to seize territory. If I can find a choke point, I will try to rush a CP there and get an outpost established before I backfill behind it. I feel the delay in getting thet particular base established is compensated by greater security and more available land for subsequent bases.

Since my development is more organic and less fixed than some, I will just keep captured bases.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Looking back on my first question I realized it is the same question I have asked in other threads. So I am going to edit the first question in the thread to include "after the first b-drones warning"

Comment

I'm still working out how I work with ICS.

Obviously get the cpods down asap, and abuse crawlers.

Comment

OK, I'm new at ICS, but I get my bases down fast. I will terraform rocky squares where a base should go however.

Captured bases, at least at first, I give away to a pact mate. It's only near the end of the game I keep them as it's only a turn or two to winning.

Comment

Working...
              X