Quote of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote of the Day

"Until the Kingdom of Heaven arrives, the future will go to those, not only with the greatest moral rectitude, but with the most cunning hand in the construction of Trojan horses--after all, have we not been abjured by the Great Teacher himself to be 'wise as serpents'? Today, citadels fall from within."

From a letter by Alfred Brookes to Richard Casey, March 14, 1955.

Hobbes
    If you want to kiss the sky/Better learn how to kneel/On your knees boy - U2, Mysterious Ways

http://zanature.wordpress.com

I may have a Russian flag, but that doesn't mean I speak Russian...

Comment

"Life is an offensive directed against the repetitious mechanism of the universe."

Alfred North Whitehead, British mathematician and philosopher 1861-1947

"Systems die; instincts remain."

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., American jurist 1841-1935
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

he who has not first laid his foundations may be able with great ability to lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect and danger to the building
        from The Prince by Machiavelli
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

"Thief-taker, Rust had called him. The man had meant it as an insult, but it'd do. Theft was the only crime, whether the loot was gold, innocence, land or life."
          --- Terry Pratchett, 'Jingo'
          "I'm too young and too male to be the mother of a seventeen year old female me!"

Comment

For Cha Dawn:

'My Vegetable love should grow,
            Vaster than Empires, and more slow.'

'To His Coy Mistress',

Andrew Marvell, British poet and politician, 1621-1678

For Deirdre:

'The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
            Drives my green age.'

Dylan Thomas, Welsh poet and playwright, novelist and short story writer, 1914-1953

Shenji Yang:

'Consciousness of our powers augments them.'

Luc, Marquis de Vauvenargues, 1715-1747, French moralist and essayist

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Quote of the Day

Originally posted by H0bbes
              "Until the Kingdom of Heaven arrives, the future will go to those, not only with the greatest moral rectitude, but with the most cunning hand in the construction of Trojan horses--after all, have we not been abjured by the Great Teacher himself to be 'wise as serpents'? Today, citadels fall from within."

From a letter by Alfred Brookes to Richard Casey, March 14, 1955.

Hobbes
              Good grief, rectitude, cunning and serpents all in the same quote. This guy sounds like he was really caught up in the great pvssy drought of the 1950s.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

(fails to understand how a war which kills the males leaves a shortage of females)

Comment

"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country"
                  - General George S. Patton, Jr.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -Albert Einstein

"There is a definite and tangible lack of correlation between what women say and what they do..." -common knowledge to all men
                  "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -Albert Einstein

Comment

For Miriam:

'The superstition of science scoffs at the superstition of faith.'

James A. Froude, British historian (1818-1894)

For Santiago:

'There is no freedom for the weak.'

from 'The Egoist'

George Meredith, British writer (1828-1909)

For Lal:

'People hardly ever make use of the freedom they have, for example, freedom of thought; instead they demand freedom of speech as a compensation.'

Soren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813-1855)

Zakharov:

"Nothing requires a rarer intellectual heroism than willingness to see one's equation written out."

George Santayana, Spanish American philosopher, poet and novelist (1863 - 1952)

Comment

I stand before him now, a man once proud and strong, who could've challenged the gods themselves in his day, yet now stands feeble and weak before me, his eyes searching mine for the answers he could never find.
                      I turn slowly from the mirror, laughing at Time's bitter joke....
                      What fools are we that live for the day......
                      Last edited by Darsnan; July 31, 2004, 00:04.

Comment

"Are we content to stew in our collective juices, to turn inward as our planet runs inexorably out of resources and wait for the Universe (or perhaps our next-door neighbors) to grow tired of us and wipe us out? Or shall we claim the planets and stars, distribute our eggs among many baskets, ensure the long-term survival of our species, and in the process embark on the greatest adventure of all time? ... The stars are waiting for us; we have only to decide that it’s worth the effort to go there."
                        -- Brian Reynolds, SMAC Designer's Notes
                        I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

"It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people."

"Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

"What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is..." (continues, forgot the exact words but agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment. the backbone of martial arts training)

Comment

"ONE WORM, TWO WORM, RED WORM, BLUE WORM"

Commisioner Pravin Lal
                            --"Mindworm, Mindworm, Dr. Seuss Style"

Comment

There was once a mindworm who couldn't use PSI
                              And without locust wings, he tried to take to the sky
                              When he found he couldn't do it,
                              And saw a scout patrol advancing towards him,
                              He realised his body had already died.

"Lady Deidre Sky, The Collected Limericks: 'Transcendent Thought for Mind Worms' "
                              Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                              The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                              Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                              We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Working...
                              X