• Show
Clear All

• Angles prop team bug?

I was digging around the forms and eventually found my way to here

and in this article

it claimed that "any probe value above +3 is considered 0 by the game."

Is this still true?

yes
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Any articles anywhere about probe ratings?

Comment

Yes the Data Angels recruitment thread has a discussion.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

The problem with +3 or more Probe SE lies with the lack of mind control immunity: Bases and units can be mind controlled at the same cost of factions with 0 Probe SE. However the probe teams of factions with +3 or more Probe SE still get a +3 morale bonus as they should get.
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

A point, and a question...

While I have never had a base of mine mind-controlled, nor have I ever had +3 probe, I don't believe that any SE rating of probe prevents mind-control. I do know that +3 does not allow any probe team interactions at all with the faction, unless the probe team has the algorithmic enhancement, but with that special ability, units can still be subverted, as well as bases.

And my question. Does having more than +3 probe cause your probe rating to rollover, or just stay at zero. If it does rollover, what number does it start at?

Comment

Such a pity. I was imagining what I could do with Roze with presentient algorithms + thought control + fundamentalist for +8 probe.

(I've been thinking of a "the doublethink method", yes that famous self-deception technique in Nineteen Eighty Four, that would halve the penalty for fundamentalist and knowledge)

Which would be useful, because if Roze gets that kind of project, +2 probe +2 from Covert Ops -1 from knowledge = +3.

Perfect. Immunity to mind control. Or Miriam would do well with it too.
              Last edited by Natalinasmpf; July 21, 2004, 01:11.
              Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
              The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
              Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
              We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

OR, you could just put a lot of probe teams in each base, and it won't matter if they enemy can mind control you or not. And then there is always the hideous alternative of PBs...

Comment

The Believers' units and bases can't be mindcontrolled for sure when that faction has +3 probe. I think Googlie mentioned that other factions could be mindcontrolled at that rate.
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

OR, you could just put a lot of probe teams in each base, and it won't matter if they enemy can mind control you or not.

But thats a lot of stuff to create, maintain, etc. and often they strike before they can do that.

Hmm, Domai was immune to mind control once....I was surprised because he only had covert ops and fundamentalist, no rollover...
                    Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                    The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                    Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                    We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Working...
                    X