Exploit or cheat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exploit or cheat?

I have found that if you have a drop unit, you can use it to drop any unit that is in the same base. Formers, copters, anything at all. Just click on the drop unit, then the shortcut key “I”. When the parachute appears, click on any unit you wish in the same base that has not already moved and it will make the drop.
    I guess it’s theoretically an exploit, but for me, most of the exploits listed in another thread are pretty much the same as cheating anyway. No offence is meant to anyone, by the way.
    Exploit
    0.00%
    Cheat
    100.00%

IMO, cheat. You're dropping a unit that doesn't have the drop capability.
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

Isn't exploiting bugs cheating anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by logic_error
        Isn't exploiting bugs cheating anyway?
        For me, cheat and exploit are similar, but essentially different things.

I've been playing Morrowind lately, so I'll use that as an example.

An exploit would be buying 20 gold worth of alchemical items. Using 10 of that gold, I up my intelligence to OMG XOBX HUEG, and then use the other 10 gold to make 20 potions, each worth 4,000 gold.

A cheat would be to bring up the console, set my health to 400000, and whump on everytone.

An exploit is taking something in-game and taking it to an unbalancing extreme. A cheat is something that bypasses the game's rules, as it were.
        It's a CB.
        --
        SteamID: rampant_scumbag

Comment

In this case, it's both. Exploits in Smac, according to the def provided are for example: Crawlers and Choppers. The AI could use them, but doesn't do it well. Also, switching SE settings during a turn is permissible by the rules, but it exploits an oversight in design. Air-dropping a non-drop unit was never permissible by the rules, therefore is both a cheat and exploit, IMO.
          Aldebaran 2.1 for Smax is in Beta Testing. Join us for our first Succession Game

Comment

Working...
          X