Military units and low police rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, it's interesting probe rating.

A negetive rating doesn't affect your ability to probe (beyond probe morale, which is easily overcome), only your enemies ability to probe you.

A positive rating doesn't affect your enemies ability to probe you, only your ability to probe them.

Strange eh?
    Play hangman.

Comment

unless it is so postive you are immune to enemy probe team actions. Something I could get easy with Miriam.

She's the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
        And, a good strategy I have learned is to coordinate like 10 bases on the frontier to all build a missile on the same turn. THen, on that same turn, target the same base, then airdrop into it.
        Missiles are about as cost effective as the Bulk Matter Transmitter.

For the same amount of mins you could build 2-3 jets. Sure the attack strength isnt as high, but superior numbers more than make up for that. And their range is technically longer than a missile when you consider they can fly out two rounds instead of one. After your your attack you should still have half to one third of your air force left to help defend your newly taken city.

Just bump up your psych or change SE for a few rounds to take care of any pesky drones.

edit:
        On another note, I don't suppose missiles can be countered by interceptors, so that would be one bright point for missiles
        Last edited by livid imp; July 1, 2004, 13:53.
        "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
        "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
        "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
        "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

A positive probe rating less than +3 will increase enemies' probe action costs, but I don't think it will decrease their success rate.

The Bulk Matter Transmitter is surprisingly cost effective, when its actual effect is to give you +50% minerals in all bases, triggering massive fungal blooms and global warming.
          "Cutlery confused Stalin"
          -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
            The Bulk Matter Transmitter is surprisingly cost effective, when its actual effect is to give you +50% minerals in all bases, triggering massive fungal blooms and global warming.
            Waaaaaahhhhhh?????

So wait a minute, the BMT lists +2 mins to all bases (which is more easily done with two min sats), actually gives +50% mins to all bases?? Is this in patch notes or something?
            "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
            "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
            "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
            "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

As a career FM junkie, I can tell you the best way to control the police problems associated with FM is to get OUT of FM while you're at war. It's quite simple: If you're going to go on the offensive and capture enemy territory, switch out of FM. When you're done, return to your home territory, disband your excess military, and return to development. Doing a whole load of backflips so you can field a large army while remaining in FM is just silly. Instead, scout your enemy, define your objectives, and devise a plan where you can achieve them quickly.

Comment

The actual effect of the BMT is something I had subtly noticed over time, and actually pinned down in Googlie's June challenge of the Gaians vs the Exploiters and the Researchers. Try it yourself if you want to know for sure.

Even if the BMT did just give +2 mins/base, it would be handy for a rush of base founding late in the game, since mineral sats are capped, and the BMT adds after that cap.
                "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                  you know, the funny thing happened. I was going to do some of that stuff, but I said **** it. I can be a lazy player sometimes. I'm not a very detailed micromanager.

I just switched to police state and green and blew everyone out of the water.
                  Punishment Spheres are a suprisingly lazy option. Because once you build a punishment sphere, that base never riots. Never - no more micro. So you just rushbuy the Fun sphere, queue up rec tanks, tree farm, creche, command center, bioenhancment center, and it builds them all without complaint. Fun sphere are also a fantastic way to deal with drones when you have the cloning vats and nut orbirtals, just rush a fun sphere in every captured (or newly built base) and they quickly grow up (assuming a ready supply of 1 food or better tiles) and can thus build infrastructure from raw minerals rather quickly, if a base gets a decent amount of infrastructure (like enough for pysch based control) you can sell the fun sphere - but it usually takes a lot longer for a base to provide a useful amount of labs than to provide a useful amount of minerals.

Comment

Working...
                  X