No announcement yet.

The IA Beeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While most other factions can be just as powerful than the University, doing so requires alot of skill in my opinion. University is the faction that requires the very straight forward tactics to run well. I noticed there's not as much balancing priorties when playing the Univeristy. Hence, I would agree with Blake on University being the faction most suitable for newbies.

To play most other factions you'll need to set priorities and have situational awareness. There's the whole issue of balancing what you need for better growth of your faction and dealing with penalties of your faction.

Balancing isn't as hard when you have so many options open due to advanced tech. With the university you can have what you build lag your most recent techs. This means that university can gain a tech and think about how to use it after he's gained it. While a player from another faction will usually have to plan what he's going to do with that tech beforehand. The balancing issues get more complicated with a tech disadvantage as you have fewer and more limited options open. The tech advantage nets you new units, new facilities, and new SE bonuses giving you greater flexibility in how you run your faction. The tech advantage also makes it very likely for you to gain SPs first, especially if the other players aren't cooperating or haven't met. IA's is basically special project haven, and if factions are considered solo, university will always get there most easily.

The two penalities of the university are increase drones and -2 probe aren't very great at all. Increased drones has very little effect on Transcend games. I would say it only makes golden ages above size 4 a little harder. However, university can boom normally without golden age. -2 probe only affects you much later in the game when you actually start thinking of war. Reduced probe isn't such a great penalty as you've already gathered a fair amount of turn advantage from not having the negatives of other factions.

Comment

Really neat discovery: a colony pod can allow bases to grow past habcomplex restrictions! I think I can fix the slow tech start. Let's see.
      #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
      #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

Remember it's against PBEM rules!! Don't try this trick in one, or you're expelled...
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Of course the entire point of this was to avoid beelining IA, but to get to librarians, you need planned, which then means you may as well get IA and habs anyway.

I think this idea won't work, alas...

What other early game ways are there to boost labs?
          #endgame

Comment

Actually, in my latest games, I'm much more akin to take several smallish sidesteps, in order to get everything I need, as I need it.

So for me, step one is basic infrastructure and worm defense (playing Lal, as I have been lately, that's pretty easy....sothb and social psych). That gives me the basics to cover fast growing bases (and truly, Lal could get by without social psych, especially since I'm rabid about getting the hgp, but....I'm thinking ahead, and in terms of significant b-drones).

So...basic infrastructure first (tanks, commons), and a nod to defense.

Then, I'm all about IA.....will make straight for it, once I've got the basics nailed.

Until then, however, an uber-early rush toward energy restrictions just isn't worthwhile....to get anything out of it, you need decent terraforming, which of course, takes TIME....time enough to grab the other techs I need, so that it all falls into place just as I'm ready for it...

-=Vel=-
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

By mid 50s is my fastest on a huge map, and it comes as I have formers ready to poke a few holes in planet. We'll see if it is mid-game viable.
              #endgame

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                Come on, you don't seriously think the University isn't the best faction?
                Depends on who's playing it.
                When I'm playing it... then yes, it's the best faction.

they can get fast impact rovers,
                CentEco, PlanNets, then on to NLMath and D:Mob.
                They usually beat the tech-advantaged people to this position,
                so while Santiago's chuffin' rovers by 2-1-1 squares and -1 Industry, you're chuffin' rovers by 1-2-2 squares and +1 Industry, not to mention the +2 Growth means you'll have even more bases chuffin' rovers.
                Provided your formers don't get nuked by Mindworms, that is...

The only place Zak will flounder is sandwiched between two hungry progenitors.
                Zak goes to HEC before NLmath and gasses the pants out of the Aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody
                  While most other factions can be just as powerful than the University, doing so requires alot of skill in my opinion.
                  So skilled Sparta defeats newb University.
                  What happens when you fight skilled University?

University is the faction that requires the very straight forward tactics to run well.
                  IA -> PTS -> VW -> ICS.
                  If you can get the HGP in there somewhere, you're gold as far as drone control goes - spam bases like there's no tomorrow!

I noticed there's not as much balancing priorties when playing the Univeristy.
                  Pssht you just haven't played it enough.
                  It's possible to play so intertwined that 2 misplaced mindworms can force a resignation.
                  Do you remember, or do you have the attention span of a goldfish?

To play most other factions you'll need to set priorities and have situational awareness.
                  Needed for University also.
                  You need to know whether to build defence or infrastructure, because usually you don't know if your nearest neighbour is going to momentum your big fat ICS park into oblivion!

There's the whole issue of balancing what you need for better growth of your faction and dealing with penalties of your faction.
                  Better growth:
                  The WP / Condensors, Planned, Democracy, FM/Golden Age, starting bases near (on?) nut bonuses, etc.
                  Penalties:
                  Get the Probes up ASAP.
                  There's a lot to be said about being tech-rich and probe-poor. Everyone sticks a probe up your ass.

Balancing isn't as hard when you have so many options open due to advanced tech.
                  Or you get choice stress and fail to do anything.

This means that university can gain a tech and think about how to use it after he's gained it.
                  *ahem*
                  I planned my Beeline quite closely, TYVM.
                  I even made myself look like an idiot to disguise my intent, and make it seem unplanned.
                  It's not like you can win with the University blindfolded.
                  Everything needs strategy, the University is the same.
                  It may not be as difficult as Morgan or Hive, but it has its ways, and you have to work around them.

The tech advantage nets you new units, new facilities, and new SE bonuses giving you greater flexibility in how you run your faction.
                  A crapload of stuff you don't have the time or resources to build.
                  The best part of the tech lead is (as you've said) SE freedom, and the ability to do a pop boom ahead of pretty much everyone around you.

Comment

Blake

I would agree that the university is stronger than many of the other factions yet I find in PBEMs that skilled university players do get beaten. Other players realize the various strengths and weaknesses and trade to catch up. A tech lead is the most illusory of all leads. What is most important is the empire size and infrastructure.

I don't have a best faction pick really-- I find a number of them to be similar strength but if I HAD to pick one faction, it would likely be the Free Drones. I do agree that the university is one of the easiest factions to play.

Oh and the cult as the worst faction?? That seems to be conventional wisdom. I definitely wouldn't enjoy them on a huge map with sparse fungus. They do seem designed for small or tiny maps with average or more fungus.

As for skilled versus unskilled , if the skill disparity is large enough, the better player will win regardless of faction choice.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Oh and that -2 university probe rating doesn't seem like a big deal until you see your bases being mind controlled away and find that the cost to mind control them back is too high
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Enigma,

As for the mindworms ruining your plans, you're still at the top of the power charts and you extracted a free peace treaty from the person you keep calling your enemy.

Anyway when I lose to the university, I can say "I'm glad I don't always play a newbie faction".
                        Last edited by Kody; June 11, 2004, 16:45.

Comment

Working...
                        X