Great starts gone worng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great starts gone worng

Man, this seems to happen to me all the time, no matter what Civ game I'm playing. This morning I had a smashingly good start...I started with all "standard" settings save for a few rule changes (like non-blind research and Unity survey), Transcend difficulty, all random factions including myself...I drew Yang. I had a continent apparently to myself, or at least mostly to myself, and money just kept coming in, mostly from pods but my econ was doing pretty good for Yang. I was able to switch to Police State quickly and still often had money for rush-building. I quickly had five bases and a couple Colony Pods to spare, was researching Planetary Networks and then I could go for Industrial Automation...a Mind Worm pops up next to The Hive. I decided to activate the lone (shame on me!) Scout Patrol there and let it initiate the battle, and the advisor gave good odds (15 to some low number), so I gave it the OK...bam! Unit destroyed, base gone next turn. I had no headquarters!

I quit the game in disgust. It had been going perfectly until then (well, I probably committed a minor error or two, but who doesn't), but I didn't want to take the time to rebuild my HQ, especially on Transcend. (Unlike you guys, I'm not a Transcend g0dz0r yet. :P)

So, what similar experiences have you guys had?

- Kef

(P.S. The word "wrong" in the topic was misspelled on purpose -- or more accurately, I misspelled it but decided to leave it. )
    I AM.BUDDHIST

If you have "autosave each turn" box checked in Preferences, and aren't playing "Ironman", then just reload the last turn and this time don't attack the mindworm.

Comment

Or better, simply continue the game and get yourself up again. It takes perhaps 5 years longer before you win, so what?
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Similar expierence?

I'd say its the routine of all SP games:
        1.You land & quit after seeing you've landed in dunes or island of 1-4 tiles
        2.You land, play a couple of nice turns & then a MW eats your base-> you quit
        3.You land, play a handful of nice turns & AI grabs your favourite SP just because it had popped 3 or 4 AAs -> you quit
        4.You land, play a HUGE amount of nice turns & underestimate Planet a bit with your 20+ ecodamage..
        So she pops 10-20 MWs near your SSC & eats it to dust ->
        you quit

&so on...
        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I don't quit . ..

I usually try to make sure I have a second unit in the vicinity to protect my HQ. heck even a nearby former will serve the purpose of preventing the capture of your HQ for long enough to rush another scout to kill the worm
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Once MWs destroyed my base in 2101 so the game was over (Do or die on) so I would quit in that case, but the game was over anyway. This was the only time I have seen the movie for losing game.
            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Hmm..

I dont remeber having seen that movie..
              Will check it out in Scenario Editor!
              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I hate quitters. The game isn't so hard that you can't turn a setback into a victory. Some of the best games are when the AI steals the SP you really wanted, and you plan your whole game around getting it back, or where you start in a crappy corner on the Dunes, and when you meet everyone else they already have Fusion, and you have to claw your way into the game...

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                  Hmm..

I dont remeber having seen that movie..
                  Will check it out in Scenario Editor!
                  It is like the movie when you eliminate a faction, except that this time you (viewer) are entering the holding cell, and not going backwards.
                  SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                    If you have "autosave each turn" box checked in Preferences, and aren't playing "Ironman", then just reload the last turn and this time don't attack the mindworm.
                    Meh, I don't restore autosaves even without Iron Man; it ruins the game for me. Only time I use an autosave is in abnormal circumstances like a game crash or power outage. (I think I had Iron Man on anyway.) The only time I'll ever roll back a move is when I could learn something by doing it differently, but I usually decide the game to be experimental before doing that kind of thing.

Originally posted by GeoModder
                    Or better, simply continue the game and get yourself up again. It takes perhaps 5 years longer before you win, so what?
                    With the mental state I was (and am) in, I'd have to save the game and leave it a while anyway. Since it was that early in the game I don't think it'd have been worth bothering. If it were an MP game I'd probably have shrugged it off, though.

Besides, winning isn't a given with me, especially since I've rarely played late into the game, so I don't have as much "practice" there. (Although this kind of restarting is part of the reason why. :P) I have beaten it, but not at high levels...

- Kef
                    I AM.BUDDHIST

Comment

About that quitter thing-> I often try testing different strats & to do it I need at least an average startpos to make sure the results are valid..

There are times also when Im too tired to play in dunes-> I want to win & win fast!

But many times I add chalenge to myself by working around the .txt files & some other settings..

So if I seek challenge I do not quit, If I seek some entertainment I often do the quit/quickstart thing & also use some cheats..

Comment

I have only quit one game recently, and that was a couple of days ago playing as Morgan. I ran into two unity pods, and each had 8 mindworms pop out, and I was erradicted, even when I had over 10 bases, about 20 turns later...

Comment

Kef, in SP, the AI never beats you. You beat you. That's the problem with quitting, you never get to find out how good your tactics and strategies are once you get up against the wall.

Comment

If you want to be good at MP you have to learn to fight on against a more powerful enemy. Its not like SP where you can grab all the SPs, zip to choppers and wipe the floor. You will lose some units, you will lose some bases, and you may lose the game.

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                              Similar expierence?

I'd say its the routine of all SP games:
                              1.You land & quit after seeing you've landed in dunes or island of 1-4 tiles
                              2.You land, play a couple of nice turns & then a MW eats your base-> you quit
                              3.You land, play a handful of nice turns & AI grabs your favourite SP just because it had popped 3 or 4 AAs -> you quit
                              4.You land, play a HUGE amount of nice turns & underestimate Planet a bit with your 20+ ecodamage..
                              So she pops 10-20 MWs near your SSC & eats it to dust ->
                              you quit

&so on...
                              You forgot another one:

5.You land, and immediately decide that you want to play another faction.
                              6.Same as above, but after a few (dozens) turns.

Comment

Working...
                              X