No announcement yet.

I just lost to the AI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try playing with only one base - it adds a certain frisson to the game... ...the AI can basically come and destroy you in a single turn whenever they want - you have to beat them from your borders and use millions of crawlers. If they manage to land waves of troops by your base... you simply cannot compete production-wise.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Ah, not entirely true, Jamski. One advantage of the Angels and Morgan, use of probe teams. I have done quite a few games on Trascend that were OCC. Two units that need to be stockpiled: probe teams and missiles. Also, psi is very good, too. Using missiles to kill, psi to bipass technology, and probe teams to reverse engineer and turn on the enemy, and trust me, you won't need no energy park or crawlers. Oh, and flechette defenses are good to get early on, too, because of those PBs...

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
        Try playing with only one base - it adds a certain frisson to the game... ...the AI can basically come and destroy you in a single turn whenever they want -
        -Jam
        I can't agree with this. I have had several OCC games where I was NEVER in any jeopardy and transcended while most of the AI was still picking lint from their respective navels. I usually manage manage to scoot into a pretty good tech lead-- I had one game where it was just funny to see an AI attacking my armored trawlers (with a 4 reactor) with fusion units. If the AI knew to use the self-destruct tactic I would be worried a bit but generally they can't make it through the crawlers to even get near my base--

Ohh and in any OCC, I put up 4 or more ODPs if any AI even shows a hint of building a PB
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

OCC = One Command Center?

Why would you play a game with one base? To satisfy any masochistic tendencies?

Comment

One City Challenge
            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by miltonic

Because it is fun and it is far far too easy to win in Single-Player without setting some restrictions on yourself
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I'm currently trying the All SPs challenge, which seems to be harder than the OCC for the first 100 turns or so. It forces you to ignore many beelines, and go for techs with projects instead... tis good fun
                Play hangman.

Comment

Nice idea with the probes - that was another restriction I was usuing. Look up the old "rules" - no units with an attack value greater than 1, no probes, no PBs, etc...

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                    I think I know what movie you're talking about.
                    Yeah, you're correct. That's the 'lost on Transcendence' movie, Commy.
                    Obstructor, you can view that movie in the scenario editor.
                    Choose the Scenario Editor and somewhere in the top half of the list you find a tab for viewing the SP movies. It's somewhere in the lower side of the movielist.
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder

Choose the Scenario Editor and somewhere in the top half of the list you find a tab for viewing the SP movies. It's somewhere in the lower side of the movielist.
                      Really? I've always just used the little program that is found in the movie folder.
                      -bondetamp
                      The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
                      -H. L. Mencken

Comment

yeah - it's smax only

Start as if to load a game, but hit "Scenario", then "Create Scenario". A sea-only map will appear

Go to the left hand menu and choose "Scenario", then about half way down "View Movies"

Now select "Empty Secret Project 38" It's the movie you get when a pactmate transcends

Comment

The video is in classic to, but it's far easier just to go to the movies folder, the one were someone else transends (dosn't have to be a Pact Brother) is theytransend. The folder also has the opening video for both games (if you have SMAX) and all the Secret Project videos
                          Are you safe from the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide? Learn more at www.DHMO.org.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                            Orisinally posted by miltonic

Because it is fun and it is far far too easy to win in Single-Player without setting some restrictions on yourself
                            Why not just change the rules so its harder or make an imposible faction with strictly negitive atrabuts?
                            Are you safe from the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide? Learn more at www.DHMO.org.

Comment

Because OCC is a kind of "traditional" challenge. Beat the AI only using 1 city as a pure builder. Its always been a favorite of mine since playing Civ1 on the Amiga. Its a simple, focused challenge.

BTW, does anyone have a copy of the challenge "rules" anywhere?

-Jam

Comment

It was in this thread It no longer exists - Guess I'll have to trawl the archives.

-Jam

Comment

Working...
                                X