Help with patrol route with several waypoints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with patrol route with several waypoints

I'm trying to set up a patrol route with several waypoints for a 6-1-10 and have the plane retun to its base at the end of the patrol. Can someone please explain the mechanics?

Also, what are the maximum number of waypoints for a patrol?

Re: Help with patrol route with several waypoints

Originally posted by Net Warrior
    I'm trying to set up a patrol route with several waypoints for a 6-1-10 and have the plane retun to its base at the end of the patrol. Can someone please explain the mechanics?
    Press "P". Your cursor will change shape. Move the cursor to the first waypoint. Click, but don't release the mouse button. Press the spacebar. Move cursor to second waypoint (still not releasing the button). If you want only two waypoints, click and release. You can set a third waypoint by not releasing the mouse and proceeding as above. However, if you set a combat unit to patrol with three waypoints, you run into the "instant elite/demon boil" bug. (The unit instantly gets promoted to elite/demon boil and doesn't observe the patrol route that you set.)

Also, what are the maximum number of waypoints for a patrol?
    Three in theory, but combat units will be limited to two waypoints due to the bug described above.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Patrol is bugged at best. I'd just move the units manually.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

In my opinion, making patrol waypoints is like acting like the AI. You ever seen Miriam take 15 minutes to move all her units? They all move the same way, every turn. I have, and you don't want to be like her, believe me...

Comment

Regarding demon boil bug, I thought you have to cancel the waypoints for it to happen? Or does it automatically happen once three waypoints are set? Never tried it myself. Yeah I don't do patrols either.
          Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

A two-point patrol is useful if you want a unit to troll a couple of tiles of fungus every turn, over and over...

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Yes, I have to agree that if you have plus planet ratings, and you need a quick military, have units, especially mind worms, patrol in fungus squares to catch more mindworms.

Good strategy for Deirdre and Dawn...

Comment

Hmmm good thing for Lily to do then.
                Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

/me shakes his head*

She'll be a Demon Boil one day*

-Jam

Comment

One day, but not this day...
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

/me spies an Empath Rover in the distance*

-Jam

Comment

Damn, discovered...

/me orders a retreat...
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

And then suddenly I interrupt this amazing story...

Comment

Re: Re: Help with patrol route with several waypoints

Originally posted by Petek
                            You can set a third waypoint by not releasing the mouse and proceeding as above. However, if you set a combat unit to patrol with three waypoints, you run into the "instant elite/demon boil" bug. (The unit instantly gets promoted to elite/demon boil and doesn't observe the patrol route that you set.)

Three in theory, but combat units will be limited to two waypoints due to the bug described above.
                            You can only have two for any unit, the bug works on non-combat units two, thus my elite formers.
                            Are you safe from the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide? Learn more at www.DHMO.org.

Comment

Working...
                            X