How do you reverse engineer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you reverse engineer?

I've read about it in a few places on this forum. How do you reverse engineer? Can you make rovers if you find a unity rover, but don't have Doct: Mob? Quango

If you probe capture a unit, its configuration will show up in your design workshop after which you can build that unit. As far as modifying that configuration, I don't know for sure, but I suspect you do it the same as the RE a probe team config into a speeder:
    Click on the probe team in the DW, change the weapon from the probe doo-dad to a hand weapon and hit apply.

AFAIK you can not reverse engineer from unity vehicals (that would be way too nice).
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Re: How do you reverse engineer?

Originally posted by Quango
      I've read about it in a few places on this forum. How do you reverse engineer? Can you make rovers if you find a unity rover, but don't have Doct: Mob? Quango
      Some people regard this as an exploit
      Diderot was right!
      Our weapons are backed with UNCLEAR WORDS!
      Please don't go, the drones need you.

Comment

I would regard reverse engineering probes to get rovers an exploit, but not reverse engineering captured units.

Comment

Is the bug with changing probe teams to speeders fixed? I thought it was, but maybe I'm wrong (as always).

Comment

Thanks. I was looking at my unity rover and thought "skipping Doct Mob might be helpful for a while."

Quango

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
              Is the bug with changing probe teams to speeders fixed? I thought it was, but maybe I'm wrong (as always).
              This is not fixed to my knowledge. I take the view that all reverse engineering is ok except for reenginnering probes. It completely changes the game if you can get rovers without needing to bother with mobility
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: Re: How do you reverse engineer?

Originally posted by Proserpine
                Some people regard this as an exploit
                I exploit, therefor I am.

Part of the reason we are no longer poo-slinging apes eating termites for a living is the fact that humans are particularly good at exploiting our environment.

Sorry, but I am hard-wired to exploit. I can't shut it off even when the going is easy. Getting rovers from probes is not a game breaker. I do it because I can, nothing more.

Against a human opponent or a explict challenge game I will follow whatever rules are set forth. Other than that, I get a bigger kick out of the freedom of being creative in my play.
                "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I know the exploit is there (rovers from probes), but in directed research games, it's a non-issue, since a human can rip thru the early tech tree so fast, especially with a faction geared for research.

In blind games, I'm focused on the story, generally, and avoid exploits.

-=Vel=-
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Livid_Imp
                    AFAIK you can not reverse engineer from unity vehicals (that would be way too nice).
                    El cheapo copter rush incoming... M.Y. 2120.

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                      No, but you can make the reverse engeniering imposible by changing this line in the alpha file:

Probe Team, Speeder, Probe Team, Scout, 11, 0, 0, PlaNets, -1, 00000000000000000000000000

You can change Speeder to scout making it so probe teams are defaultly scouts instead or change PlaNets to disable making it so the Probe Team unit doesn't come with Planetary Networks (you still get the equipment to put on units)
                      Are you safe from the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide? Learn more at www.DHMO.org.

Comment

I'm not worried about it too much, since I never exploit. In my opinion, it just ruins the fun of the game. Playing against the AI and not a human is already enough of a handicap, you shouldn't need to cheat as well...

Comment

Working...
                        X