Crawling for Pactmates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawling for Pactmates

If you set the home base of a supply crawler to an ally's base, does the crawler then crawl resources for the ally?

I'm trying to beef up a submissive AI, so I'm formering their land myself. I want to know if I can force them to crawl a specific tile.

Wouldn't you be able to tell with your infiltrator info? Crawl a square in your allies' base and see if their FOP out put changes at all.

That reminds me. In my current game, my poor Ally Lal was lagging behind the rest of the factions, isolated on an island with the slightly aggressive Yang. Lal asked me for help, Applied Physics in particular. It wouldn't have hurt me to give it to him, but I felt like being an ass. My inablilty to give cost Lal and his entire faction their lives. Wow..I'm a heartless bastard. He asked me for a loan, but I knew he wouldn't be around long enough to repay it. Gotta think long term baby...can't take part in a risky investment.

Comment

Your units set to homed in an ai base are support free, so perhaps crawlers would also be "support free" in the same sence - they don't support your ally. I have no idea really, let us know what you find out enigma.
      Play hangman.

Comment

It's no good - I can't figure out how to home to an ally's base.

I move my units there and hit CTRL-H, but nothing happens - they're still supported by their original base.

Comment

Instead of hot key Ctrl-H, what about right clicking on the unit while it is in the base and 'Set home Base'? I'm at work, otherwise I'd test it myself.

All of your units have that choice when they are in a base of yours and you right click on them. If you don't see that option when they are in an ally base, then it looks like the answer is no.

Comment

Try doing it from the right click menu...many activities that are proscribed by rule and that cannot be done with keyboard commands can be done with the right click.

Comment

X-post with miltonic.

Comment

Do supply crawlers even need any support? I know the base that supports them gets the resources, but do you have to spend a mineral to support them?

And, if I remember correctly, one of the patches doesn't allow you to support from ally bases. Perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps you already have that patch and can't...

Comment

The homebase is where the resources of the crawler are sent to. That is all the homebase lets a crawler do.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                    Do supply crawlers even need any support? I know the base that supports them gets the resources, but do you have to spend a mineral to support them?
                    No - crawlers are like probe teams, requiring no minerals support

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie

No - crawlers are like probe teams, requiring no minerals support
                      Another advantage of Morgans and Angels.

Comment

Of everyone, Commy, of everyone...
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Damn, I never noticed that probe teams do not require support. I need to commit that note to memory...

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                            Of everyone, Commy, of everyone...
                            True, but with the -3 support of Morgan (democracy) combined with +4 economy (free market and wealth), you would be stupid to not take advantage of probe teams, especially when they don't require support.

And the advantage to Roze, of course, is self explanatory...

Ultimately, this advantage helps peaceful factions like Morgan more than militaristic faction, which already have high support ratings...

Comment

Probe guards, the classic Morganite defender, pre-Bio-Engineering.

Comment

Working...
                              X