Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMAC cheats all your money (evil Firaxis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC cheats all your money (evil Firaxis)

I was playing a game as Morgan last night. I build the Planetary Energy grid, so the energy bank in Morgan Industries brought me from 18 energy/economy per turn to 27. Then I built a tree farm. Normally, I'd calculate it as 50% (energy bank) of the original 18, then 50% of the new subtotal with the tree farm, making a grand total of 40 or 41, depending on how the game rounds it. Apparently not.

Instead, I got 36, or 100% or the original 18. So like, is the two bonuses added, or are they like multiplied of eachother? Is it supposed to be this way, or is my game screwed up.

Now that I think of it, how does the game treat all of the percents in combat? I never actually cared until now. So if you are attacking with a speeder in the field, and you have nerve gas pods, are the advantages added, or multiplied together?

Better yet, if you attack a mindworm, and you have -3 planet because of the Free market, are the percents added/subtracted, or are the multiplied? Say you had a unit with a power of 100, then because you attack (say you have empath song), then you get +50%, or power of 150. Now if the -30% was of the new subtotal, then your attack power would be 105, but if 30 was subtracted from 50, then the new percent applied to 100, your attack would be better at 120.

I can never tell since combat always goes too fast. For all you pros out there, how does the game do percents? Because I really don't like getting cheated out of a bunch of energy credits.

By the way (off topic) is this the way it's done in Civ 3?

%ages are generally added.
    That's why the base with Nanoreplicators and Genejacks and Robotic Assemblies and The Bulk Matter Transmitter doesn't result in instant global warming.

Comment

Regarding combat - check the flag "confirm odds before attacking" then you'lll see exactly how combat odds multipliers work (In combat they are multiplicative, not additive)

(You'll find this from the left hand menu, "game" "advanced preferences", third option down)
      Last edited by Googlie; June 1, 2004, 14:32.

Comment

Commy did you account for maintenance costs of the tree farm?
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

More on combat odds

Go here and download the test - use all your 3 scouts to attack Dee and the mindworm and see the odds before you attack

(and your assumption re psi odds in combat is correct - bonuses and penalties are multiplicative)

Comment

Yes, Commy, all percentage modifiers to production from facilities are additive, not multiplicative, that's the way it's supposed to work.

Put simply, if you have an energy bank giving you +50% energy production, and a tree farm giving you +50% energy production, your energy production should be at 200%. So it is for all other production multipliers. Genejack factories, Network Nodes, you name it.

Comment

To see it in action, go here and unzip into your smac folder/scenarios file.

Open as "scenario" then "Edit Scenario" and load facstest,2101. Now click on The Hive and move from left to right clicking on the 4 Hive bases. You'll see the additive nature of the facilities quite clearly (all have the same 3 mins at the base site and 5 workers producing 1 min each - the progression is 8:12:16:20 for, respectively, 1,2 and 3 minerals enhancing facility)

G.

Comment

Thanks about that combat thing. I actually always do "review combat odds" so that I can see what chance I stand in combat, but I never realized that you could see the details at the bottom of the screen too.

Comment

Punishment spheres are an exception to the additive rule for facilities, right? IIRC, they multiply your base's labs by .5, rather than add -50%.

Also, the SPs that boost lab output add with each other, but multiply with lab boosting facilities. This is why Super Science Cities are powerful:

(1 + .5 (net node) + .5 (fusion lab) + .5 (research hospital)) * (1 + 1 (Supercollider) + 1 (Theory of Everything)) = 7.5 * normal labs!
                  "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                  -BBC news

Comment

Would the Bulk Matter Transmitter work the same way?

Comment

BMT adds another 50 % of basic min to the pile.
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Punishment sphere description certainly claims it halves all research, anyway.
                        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
                        X