Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another newb question from ryc730! Sky hydro labs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another newb question from ryc730! Sky hydro labs....

First off, I'm very, very sorry if this question is too basic for anybody, but I don't know what else to do! Here's the question: Do you have to do something more besides building the Sky Hydroponics Labs in order to get the +1 nutrient bonus to all your bases?

Here's why I'm asking. I built a truckload of those suckers. Over 70, in fact, thinking that my bases would be growing like a tumor. When I checked each city, though, the nutrient total didn't ever change. So I kept building more, thinking somehow that that was a brilliant idea. Hence the 70+ sky labs.

I read and reread the description, searched this forum, but still couldn't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help me?

The number of satellites of a particular kind that can actually be used (aside from orbital defences) is capped to the number of citizens in each base.

I don't have that much experience in late game, but I also heard that if a base doesn't have an aerospace facility then the effects of satellites is also halved (I've always had the CBA so I haven't noticed that effect).

So if your population for a base 8 with aerospace facility then you'll only get 8 nutrients maximum from satellites. If what I heard is correct about needing an aerospace facility then without one you'll only get 4 nutrients from 8 satellites.

Comment

Kody nailed it.

Comment

Re: Yet another newb question from ryc730! Sky hydro labs....

Originally posted by ryc730
        Here's the question: Do you have to do something more besides building the Sky Hydroponics Labs in order to get the +1 nutrient bonus to all your bases?
        Kudos to you for asking such an advanced question when first logging online! You should venture into the PBEM Arena and test your skills there! This will enhance your playing skills exponentially, as well as giving you an avenue to share your own unique perspectives on the game!

D

Comment

Any particular game you have in mind, Darsnan?

I could start a Tutorial Game (all moves explained, all passwords open) to teach the newbie a thing or two.

Comment

There's one more aspect I've observed with satellites. Take a city without an aerospace complex. It receives half benefit from satellites (rounded up). It also cannot receive more of each factor of production than its size. What I've noticed is that these two effects are applied in that order. A size 10 city without an aerospace complex can receive 10 food, if you have 19 hydrosats.
            "Cutlery confused Stalin"
            -BBC news

Comment

Thanks Chaos Theory,

I was under the mistaken impression that the satellites are capped then halved. Rather than halved then capped.

Comment

Re: Re: Yet another newb question from ryc730! Sky hydro labs....

Originally posted by Darsnan

Kudos to you for asking such an advanced question when first logging online! You should venture into the PBEM Arena and test your skills there! This will enhance your playing skills exponentially, as well as giving you an avenue to share your own unique perspectives on the game!

D
                Thanks for the compliment!

That's funny you should mention it--a couple of days ago I applied to join a democracy game. Is that the same thing as a PBEM game? I haven't heard back from the team leader (?) yet, but I hope to join some kind of game soon and start learning from the masters.

Then maybe someday my kung fu will be as good as yours.

-ryc

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Yet another newb question from ryc730! Sky hydro labs....

Originally posted by ryc730

Thanks for the compliment!

That's funny you should mention it--a couple of days ago I applied to join a democracy game. Is that the same thing as a PBEM game?
                  -ryc
                  The democracy game is only one type of PBEM. A PBEM is , of course, any Play By EMail game. Most are played with an individual running factions and you can get in one or start one at any time. In the democracy game you join a group that collaborates on decisions but in the end, the actual game turn must be played by a single turn player
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

OT: PBEM

Even when it's getting slightly OT, here is another newcomer interested in a PBEM as kind of preparation to the soon-starting ACDG. How's the procedure for getting people and a savegame / scenario together?

Comment

The trick with Hydroponics sats is that when fully deployed, they allow one ground-based nutrient to support one population. So long as you're pre-hab domes, just build 14 sats (16 with AV, 11 if you're Morgan, etc), and you're in good shape to support all your population, provided you've got Aerospace complexes (one of the major reasons why Skybase Academy is so good).

Once you get Hab domes, you should really crank as many of them as possible, or at least until maximum base size. (128?)

Comment

Re: OT: PBEM

Originally posted by AndiD
                        Even when it's getting slightly OT, here is another newcomer interested in a PBEM as kind of preparation to the soon-starting ACDG. How's the procedure for getting people and a savegame / scenario together?
                        Go into the Multiplayer forum and start a thread-- You can usually have darsnan or googlie pull out a scenario or balanced map if you wish OR you can take your chances with a computer genrated map ( I don't recommend this for PBEMs as unbalanced starts are common and its no fun to spend months or years playing something that was predetermined from the start) OR you can play on any one of a number of totally balanced maps.

Some of the maps provide identical starting positions( usually for builders as factions are too far apart to make momentum that effective)
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: Re: Yet another newb question from ryc730! Sky hydro labs....

Originally posted by Darsnan

D
                          Or you can even join the Gaian team in next ACDG.

O
                          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Or any other of the 4 teams participating.

If interested, check the sign up threads for (in alphabetical order) Data Angels, Gaians, Morgans and Spartans.
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                              If interested, check the sign up threads for (in alphabetical order) Data Angels, Gaians, Morgans and Spartans.
                              How very diplomatic of you
                              Play hangman.

Comment

Working...
                              X