Installation Woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation Woes...

It has been a long while but I decided to pull out the SMAC CDs and install them (Played the game pretty hard core for a couple years and some great PBEM ).

I am running XP on a 2.8Gig P4. The install hangs. I tried lauching setup.exe directly off the cd and it hung. If I put the CD in it hangs when I click the install button (top one). It PAINS me to think I can not install/play this game. I see a few answers if you are having problems running the game under 2000/XP once the game is installed but I have not seen a solution for installing it. I tried installing it off my DVD player and my CD writer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated gents!

Thanks,

Robert

I can't help you, if anything you can purchase a fresh copy for dirt cheap these days:

or
    "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

it's hard to say if it is the CD.

You could try to install the game on another computer just to see if it works. That will tell you if it is the CD or your system that is the problem.

Comment

Try copying the files to your HD first and installing from there, or use another programm to burn an image of the CD and mount it on the HD.

You seem tech-savvy enough to do this without a step-by-step, if not PM me.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Alternate version here for free:
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I have tried copying the files to my HD and running the install from there. Still having problems. I would think if it was the CD (corrupt file) I would have a problem with copying the CD to my HD.

If you have the name of a tool to grab an image file from my CD and mount if of the HD I can give it a whirl. I have a machine in peices so it would be a while before I could assemble something to try and install on another machine. So much for the quick and easy answer.

Thanks for the prompt replies gents. Greatly appreciated.

Robert

Comment

Have you tried running the XP Program Compatibility Wizard on setup.exe? See

Can't hurt, might help.

You might also try setting your video to a lower resolution (say, 800x600) or fewer colors (256) just to see what happens.
              "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
              -- Kosh

Comment

Thank you! Petek, you hit it on the head. I had to set the setpup.exe to run in Windows 98/Me Compatability mode. I also had to set the Votex setting to 1 in the .ini. It seems to be running now. I have not used the 2000/XP patch. Would you guys suggest installing that as well? I still get the dialog about an invalid processor but it seems to run anyways.

Thanks!

Comment

If its running anyway, I wouldn't touch it.

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

When installing the xp compatability patch on SMAC(X), do we need to install it in a special way or change something in the .ini? I did so but SMAC still shows version 4.0 and the version screen of SMAX shows blank.
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I thought with SMAX installed you should only install the 2nd SMAX patch.

-Jam

Comment

Originally posted by rjnharvey
                        I had to set the setup.exe to run in Windows 98/Me Compatability mode.
                        Thanks!
                        You're welcome. I'll add this tip to the FAQ.
                        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                        -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                          I thought with SMAX installed you should only install the 2nd SMAX patch.
                          Well, did so last night and SMAX is now version 2.0 on XP. No problem there anymore. But SMAC is still 4.0, while it is 5.0 on my Win98 partition.
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

The XP patch will bring SMAC up to 5.0
                            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                            X