Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing bases??

Woah!!!

I was playing Cybernetic/Thinker/Large-Random-Map. I had wiped out both progenitor factions, foisted an alliance upon the Drones, and gained solid treaties with the Angels and Cult. Only the Pirates stood in my way. I was slapping them silly with bombers and they had no air power. I controlled nearly every SP, I was well in the lead for Fusion power, and would easily win the race for transcendence.

Then all my cities and units simultaneously vanished as though sucked into a space time discontinuum. The base display (F4) showed an empty list. In return I was given a big stack of colony pods etc.

The pirates immediately offered me a truce, in a gloating tone of voice.

Is this a known bug?? Or did the Pirates unleash a vicious undocumented SP, heheheh?

Never experienced this bug myself, but I have heard of it happening before. If you go back in this Forum a ways, you'll see at least one other player that has experienced this.
    I don't think theres any fix for this, but since it doesn't appear to happen very often, why it can be lived with.

D

Comment

I have experienced it in a SP game-- I don't know any fix but I think if you go back enough years it will not necessarily re-occurr
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I think it happens when you remove a faction sometimes. The game gets confused and removes your faction instead.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

A known bug. What probably happened is that one of the other factions probed your headquarters, trying to free one of the factions that you eliminated. The normal result of this action is that the eliminated faction restarts the game with some colony pods, techs, etc. The bug is that your faction, not the eliminated faction, restarts the game as just described.
          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
          -- Kosh

Comment

interesting.

that could make the game challenging.

Comment

When plying with free faction leader enabled, keep a probe team in your HQ.
              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Hmm, I thought I did have a probe in my capital. Oh well.

Comment

is the probe success rate 100%

I think I asked this before, can't remember if I got an answer.

iirc Civ2 spys had a 50% success rate didn't they?

Comment

I just had this happen. No one is close enough to my capitol to probe (unless the spartans started to make probe jets?). I also haven't eliminated anyone. It also happens after the computers turns, and at the very begining of your turn. I did see it happen once to the computer too (it lost all its cities for no reason, but I didn't care).
                    You forgot one thing... I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Comment

Oh, this sounds fun. Did all the bases dissapear at once? I was playing a one-city challenge game, and my base dissapeared, and I was apparently the alien faction, but I couldn't control anything.

Comment

I think it only happens in SMAX, not SMAC
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

You are correct Straybow (it is connected to faction leader freeing mechanic).
                          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I have crossfire, so maybe that's why. But how do you free a faction leader? I've never actually done it, and honestly, except for Domai and Morgan, who would I want to free anyway? They'd probably declare war on me the next turn, even if it was me who freed them. Stupid lal, his people would probably kill me for putting him back in office. Speaking of which, how does that ****** lal stay in office under democracy. Is his/her people that stupid, or does he do thought control too.

And I now that freeing faction leaders destroys your faction, why would I do it? Does it happen every time?

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                              I have crossfire, so maybe that's why. But how do you free a faction leader?
                              You probe the HQ of the faction that eliminated them.

I've never actually done it, and honestly, except for Domai and Morgan, who would I want to free anyway?
                              The freed faction becomes your submissive, just the same as if they surrendered to you. They'll turn on you only if you commit a major atrocity or if some other faction frames you for an atrocity.

And I now that freeing faction leaders destroys your faction, why would I do it? Does it happen every time?
                              The bug being discussed in this thread happens if some other faction probes your HQ, not if you probe another faction's HQ.
                              "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                              -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
                              X