No announcement yet.

Diplomacy Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on victory condition sets right now....:-) It's second on my "do list" and I'm cobbling it together as I type this....

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Wow... I realize I'm late asking, but I just saw this thread. I'm a huge diplomacy fan and am quite familar with SMAC/SMACX in pbem.. and would love to get in on this, I"ll email vel with info, if i'm too late, I quite understand. Daniel_Tig

Comment

Count me in if it is not too late!

Celtic Fan

Comment

I 'm a fun of Diplomacy too. This PBEM has some elements of Risk as well, right? If you plan to organize a second game, i 'd like to participate.

------------------
          "ðá âù êáé êéíù ôáí ãáí" - Archimedes

Comment

official spam bump

Comment

Vel,

i would love to be part of the diplomacy challenge i could play during the week probably 1 or 2 turns each day my email is

korn469@mindless.com

if i could still get in on a diplomacy challenge email me

korn469

Comment

If it's not too late, I'd like to get in on this. I'll be anyone as long as it's not the believers. I'd also prefer a SMACX game, but SMAC is ok too. Some one may have to clue me in on how to PBEM, though. I prefer the simultaneous moves type... much quicker.

------------------
                Fear the BlueMikeSpecial

"Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Bumping for Vel.

Comment

::sigh:: Okay, I'm sending out a distress call....I need a hand and I need it in a mondo big way.

I think this is a fantastic concept, and I've got a custom built world to run the games on....what I don't seem to have the time to do is come up an interesting and different enough set of "secret victory conditions" to make the games fly. Most of my creative juices are being sapped out of me in two places of late: First, as you know, I've been working steadily on my website to promote my fiction and poetry, and second, I'm averaging 1 complete or up to 3 partial SMACX games per night in order to immerse myself in the SMAX strat. guide. I've trimmed my already skimpy sleeping habits from three hours a night to two, and I STILL don't have enough time to get it all done.

Having said that, I'm gonna raise the white flag on this one. Is there anybody out there who wants to take this idea and run with it? I can provide the players list and the victory conditions I've got, along with a hand-built map, but there's just no way I can set up and administer the games if I wanna have any chance at all of getting the SMAX guide together in the reasonably near future...

::hanging my head in defeat::
                    -=Vel=-
                    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

BustaMike:

OK, here's how it works. I'm going to assume you know as little about PBEM as you imply (ie, nothing) so don't be offended if this is alittle obvious.

Firstly, someone creates a multiplayer-Hotseat/Play-By-Email game in much the same manner as a normal game. I'm guessing that this is also how a multiplayer simultaneous is set up. The setting-up is usually done by a neutral party, or by the Gaians (since they play first). This first turn is then saved (or if the Gaians set it up, played and saved).

The setter-up then mails everybody in the game a list of the people playing and the factions they are playing - in the order listed on the faction choice screen. This is important, since that is the order of play, and therefore people can find the next player from it. The turn is then mailed to the first human player on the list.

When it is your turn, you will receive the turn on an email (obviously). You then choose multiplayer from the main SMAC menu, followed by either load existing or Hotseat/PBEM-load existing (I can't quite remember the exact order off-hand). You will have the usual load confirmation screen, then you will be prompted for a password. The first turn will prompt you twice, just to confirm it. Other turns will only ask you once.

Now, just play the turn as usual. When you've finished, SMAC will tell you "Turn Complete", and wait in case you need to do something vital. This means that when you have really finished, you MUST click the turn complete button. Now select save and exit, save the game and email it to the next human player.

Now, the only real gameplay change is in diplomacy - obviously this won't happen real-time. To contact a human player, select their commlink freq. as usual, and a huge diplomacy dialogue will come up. displayed are the two parties involved, the negociation state, various proposals and a text box. What you do is this: select whatever proposal you are OFFERING. This will appear in your box. Type any messages you want in the text box - remember to press enter. DON'T, whatever you do, click Accept at this stage. Instead click end communiation. On the other players turn, they will receive the same box. The general procedure is always the same, and basically theefold, as follows:

1) If you wish to make an OFFER, do so. Note that the status changes to negociating above both parties. Click End Transmission.

2) If you wish to DECLINE an offer, click Decline. The communication is now ended until another comm-link is initiated.

3) If you wish to ACCEPT an offer, click Accept. The communication is now complete, and the transaction detailed is carried out. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU LIKE BOTH SIDES OF THE OFFER, otherwise your opponent may get something for nothing.

Council is pretty self-explanatory.

Hope this makes sense and helps!

Chowlett

---------------
                      A British poll of the most hated people of the 20th Century gave the following result
                      1) Adolf Hitler. 2) Josef Stalin. 3) Chris Evans.
                      The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                      Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                      All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                      "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Vel

i myself cannot take it over alone, but i could co-CMN this with somebodyif somebody wanted to volunteer...i could definatly help run this and come up with victory conditions...Tau Ceti if your listening maybe you could help me out some here...but vel send me the file and i'll see what i can do...

korn469

Comment

Hmmm... I see I have been called upon to volunteer for CMN duty. I guess I could do it... This type of game sounds like rather a lot of work, and I am not sure how good I will be at making victory conditions, but still, let me see what I can do. There being at least two of us reduces the workload a bit. Vel, please send me the files too: larsheg@sensewave.com

Comment

Thank you both....and when I get home this evening, I'll gather the goods together....

-=Vel=-

Comment

Bumping thread.

Keep us posted on any developements, guys!
                              The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                              Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                              All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.

Comment

Resurrecting thread. What's happening about this? Info, please!

Comment

Working...
                                X