• Show
Clear All

• Mon Denmark

Breathtaking natural landscape
    Attached Files
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Thanks Zoid, for stepping in

It is indeed Frederiksborg Palace. The palace has been used by the danish kings as a place of residence and/or hunting palace.

Most of the palace was destroyed in a fire in 1859, and the current palace, while an exact replica, was built after that time. The restaurantion went rather slowly, though. Then in 1878, I.C. Jacobsen, the founder and then owner of the Carlsberg Breweries funded the restauration of the palace's interior, and the transformation of the palace to a museum of national history.

As a point of interest, the church of the palace contains the Coats of Arms for all the knights of the elephant order, Denmark's finest order. This order is only given to heads of State, and royalty. Among recipients are William Jefferson Clinton and George W. Bush. Only 3 non-danish commoners have received the order in the 20ieth century. These were Dwight D. Eisenhower (he got the order before he was elected president), Bernhard Law Montgomery and Winston Churchill.

Here is a picture from inside the chapel. The coats of armor are on display along side the galleries that you see to the right and left.

As for WW2, Denmark didn't see much destruction. The danish government adopted a policy of appeasement towards the Nazi oppressors, and as such Denmark was spared the destruction that much of Europe saw during that disastrous war. It also made the allies question whether Denmark was on Germany's side, though, and for much of the war, Denmark was considered if not a German ally, then at least a country not sided with the allies. It actually took a very active resistance movement and the ever increasing demands of the German's to make the danish government see the error of their ways, and in august 1943, the government resigned, and Denmark was after that a truly occupied country.
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
        Mon Denmark

Breathtaking natural landscape
        that is nice
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

• Originally posted by Asmodean
          [...]the knights of the elephant order, Denmark's finest order. This order is only given to heads of State, and royalty. Among recipients are William Jefferson Clinton and George W. Bush.
          They don't sound very picky...
          Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

• Well, it is a tradition for visiting heads of state to get the order, and both Clinton and Bush have visited Denmark, so....

Asmodean
            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

• They get to choose between a case of Carlsberg or the order. They always go for the order...
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• You know, us mortal exchange business cards and the like. Royals exchagne orders
                Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

• Me a few yards short of completing the 10 mile Mountain Goat run. Won't get any points for style, but I did post my best time in 7 years!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Darsnan
                    Me a few yards short of completing the 10 mile Mountain Goat run. Won't get any points for style, but I did post my best time in 7 years!
                    Nice shorts

Comment

• Originally posted by Asmodean
                      the knights of the elephant order, Denmark's finest order.

I'm guessing it was created in the days when elephants roamed free in the Danish countryside?
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• i just realized i didn't post any pictures of when i went with my dad to arizona. so i will now. [[prepare for a lot of photos]]

Grand Canyon and surrounding areas
                        also, me and my dad. we're silly *****es.

v

Last edited by b etor; May 13, 2007, 18:07.

Comment

• Awesome views!

thanks b Etor

Comment

• Indeed. I'd really like to see the Grand Canyon with my own eyes...
                            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• Nice action shots b etor

I don't think the other tourists at the Flintstones park were on the same wavelength as you though

The grand canyon is truly awesome but you only fully comprehend and appreciate it when you see it for yourself.

Did you walk down to the base of the canyon and stay overnight in the ranch? Rob and I missed out on this because we didn't book far enough in advance.
                              Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Member of Team Southern Cross in Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game
                              Member of the Great Council of the Horde in Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

• We ended up doing a 3-4 hour round trip into the canyon.

At the top it was freezing cold snow...
                                Attached Files
                                Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Member of Team Southern Cross in Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game
                                Member of the Great Council of the Horde in Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                                X