No announcement yet.

Picture Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think there were polls like this, and there's an active poll at CFC which shows suprisingly big 40% atheist minority
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

• 40%? that's no game.

One demographic i'm interested in is age. I'm grateful for Paddy, keeping me from believing i'm the only other grandpa here.
      Of course, i'm a very young grandpa...
      "Is your sword as sharp as your tongue"? Capt. Esteban
      "Is yours as dull as your wit"? Don Diego Vega

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
        Me and my sister.

And trees are still pagan! I'm a pagan too.

Comment

• i might be fuzzy on the details, but here goes. In an effort to convert the pagans early in Christendom, church occasions were overlaid upon existing pagan festivals. For example (the occasion of) the Ressurection was planted upon the pagan festival of fertility honoring the goddess Ishtar. We call her Easter now (but we kept the fertile rabbits.)
          Most interesting to me was the Festival of Saturn celebrated on December 25. It seems the biggest, roundest priest of the temple would be adorned in a red toga and stand on the portico of the temple to proclaim "Ho Saturnaillia, Ho Saturnaillia, Ho, Saturnaillia"
          with this in mind, the whole evergreen tree thing is a minor infraction.
          With all respect to my Pagan friend, it worked. The ACLU hasn't tried to remove a bust of Saturn from any Nativity Scenes...

Comment

• We have a christmas tree...if that makes me pagan...well, okay then.

I'm going to draw the line at painting my face, getting naked and dancing around the tree while chanting some black magic.
            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

• Well I'm a Catholic (which means that I'm a pagan in the eyes of Christian fanatics ) and I don't consider the tree a pagan object. I mean sure the whole thing started that way but with the years it was absorved by the Christian heritage, so no harm done. Right?
              >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

• I remember reading somewhere that the first actual Christmas tree was used by Martin Luther... which makes you a heretic, ChP.

Comment

• Last week i saw a clip of The Pope explaining the perpetual green color of the Christmas Tree as representing the ever-presant value of Christ in our lives. I think we're ok.

I'm Baptist, but i seem to recall Paul asking why we had devided ourselves up like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by bayraven
                    Last week i saw a clip of The Pope explaining the perpetual green color of the Christmas Tree as representing the ever-presant value of Christ in our lives. I think we're ok.
                    How very sanitised- he skips over the obvious pagan connections with fertility and life.

Exactly what would a fir or pine tree have to do with Bethlehem?
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• alas, you are right.
                      BTW, what is a flaneur?

Comment

• I guess don't give a crap if the Pope thinks its okay for me to put an evergreen tree in my house during December. He can go to hel..... oh, maybe I shouldn't say that.
                        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

alas, you are right.
                          BTW, what is a flaneur?
                          Second cousin twice removed to a pastry chef.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• with a particular stride, i presume

Comment

with a particular stride, i presume
                              A very tart response.

Comment

40%? that's no game.

One demographic i'm interested in is age. I'm grateful for Paddy, keeping me from believing i'm the only other grandpa here.
                                Of course, i'm a very young grandpa...
                                hoy

I may be old and bald...

but I am not a grandpa yet...

struth mate my lad is only Eleven years old
                                Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                                I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                                X