This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Robert why don't you explain why you don't want the Poly black on white?

All you've said is that it is boring.

Every product has a brand. Poly's brand has always been black on white.
    Yes I agree that the dark blue and dark grey is better and not as glaring to the eyes as white on black, I'm still not a big fan of really dark themes, but that would be a welcome option.

CS
    Global Admin/Owner
    Civilization Players Leagues
    www.civplayers.com
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Black type on white/black type on tan/black type on light grey/black type on light blue

Alternate each post with grey/white background, tan/white or some other color combo to offer contrasts and to define each post.

Perhaps use black/reverse type for the post count bar...

The simple truth is that reverse type is harder on the eyes, especially in large chucks of text. Since there are a lot of long-winded people here, more headaches all around.
      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

More headaches lead to more short tempers, which leads to more posters saying inane and ill-thought out off-the-cuff remarks, which leads to more work for the admins because they have to ban more posters.
        Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
        ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
          Hmm.. Interesting.. I'm astygmatic as well so that probably is a big reason why I have a problem with it.

Can other people who have troubles reading the board also confirm this?
          I feel we're getting closer.
          Robert, it doesn't matter.

People are clamouring for a black-on-white theme. Provide it. It's the standard on the web for a reason. This whole nonsense of asking why people prefer it shows you are missing the point completely.

This site should exist to service the community, not to make a fashion statement. Your first mistake was hiring someone who doesn't frequent forums to design a forum theme. Your second mistake is dragging this out by ignoring the obvious.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

How do others like this forum style: http://forums.elementalgame.com/390455
            Is it better? Is it worse? If it is better, is it good enough?
            It's a bit better.. I still wouldn't call it good though. It's not quite as straining so I would probably have to sit reading it for a while to say for certain how much of a bother it would be.

Their quote boxes are easier to read than the main posts however. That shade of grey is lighter so it helps.

Edit: Oh and hexagonian's suggestion sounds like a good idea. alternating two light shades between posts also makes for easier reading. Breaks up what otherwise might feel like a wall of text. Doesn't have to be a big difference between posts. Here's an example of it with shades of blue (gentoo forums again)

Comment

@Asher: it does matter, or we'll create a new style and many will still have problems.
              And a black on white implementation is much harder b/c everything then must be changed.

@CS, @Hex and @Closey: thanks for your input.

@All: Jeroen is working now on something completely different (for Apolyton) which is pretty huge and important, after that, and when he has time, he'll start working on the style.
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

@Asher: it does matter, or we'll create a new style and many will still have problems.
                And a black on white implementation is much harder b/c everything then must be changed.

@CS, @Hex and @Closey: thanks for your input.

@All: Jeroen is working now on something completely different (for Apolyton) which is pretty huge and important, after that, and when he has time, he'll start working on the style.
                Sounds good, thanks mate Looking forward to it!

Comment

My helpful and thought provoking posts keep disappearing. I can only assume this is an honest mistake. Plomp, for the last time, I wanted black text on white background, not black text on a black background.

Comment

The quote boxes are really readable, wouldn't it be cool if there was a theme based around those quote boxes? Like using a similar colour set-up for the text and background.

Comment

This theme would be ideal if it were Halloween if only because we are all sloshed on Halloween and orange is the ****, but only on Halloween.

Comment

It's about delivering what users want. Just let users design some formats and then make them available in the user CP. That way everyone can pick the style they want and there will be less whining.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The standard vBulletin theme is basically Black on White, you could just switch that back on and add it as an alternative until there's time to develop a new style. After all people will only see that style if they log in/register and change their preferences.

That would relieve pressure on getting a new style in quickly.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Don't listen to MikeH and Asher! Make the style black text on black background as Wiglaf suggested. If they don't like it, they can just post somewhere else. Adding additional options just means that some people (perhaps even most) will be using a style you don't like!!! You own personal sense of style is at risk here. Don't let them take that away from you. Also,start banning people who disagree with you.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                              ......looking like something thrown in the garbage a month ago.

Comment

Huge and important!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X