Announcing Civilization Network!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
    Will this finally be the massive multiplayer game?
    Starting with 2000 ancient tribes on a very huge map, where only through time the real biggies endure? (and the others start a new game)

Time for speculation
    That's what I'm hoping for. Probably a set number of turns per day? I'm guessing they'd store up so if you didn't play for a few days you'd have a bunch of turns to use.

I wonder if it will use the Civ4 rules just on a massive map. Probably not, there'd be loads of tweaking to do. If there are storable turns then it could be abused. It would be annoying if your "friend" next to you had a load stored up and suddenly attacked, you could do nothing but sit and watch while their troops ravaged your civ.

More likely it'll be like the simultanious MP game only with the turn extended. But how long? Less than a day and it would take a lot of commitment to do well. If it's a day then a 400 turn game would last over a year!

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
      Come on Sid, Facebook apps?

please make Civ 5 or SMAC 2.
      Easy, tiger.

Comment

First expand you fanbase, then release civ5.
        Civ4 is still very playable, I'm very ok to wait a little bit longer, especially if such a network game expands the possibilities of playing civ. I don't care about graphics, I just hope it's not dumbed down.
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

It talks about working with your friends so maybe there are lots of people playing each civ. You personally just control the units you build and the cities you found? There may be only 10 to 20 civilizations in a game with 100 or more players.

Important decisions like civics, what to research and international diplomacy could be decided on by vote from the players in a civ based on the population of their cities. Naturally there would be discussion of strategy among the players in a team anyway.

Or maybe each person will just have one city. If the city gets captured you swap teams to join the conquering nation. You control the units produced by your city. Not sure I like that idea.

As there are only limited wonders, one person could build a wonder while the other players support him by providing units for defence etc. Or a way to enable everyone to get involved in wonder building would be having the civ1 mechanics so that you can use caravans to help a city. Problem with that would be the old civ1 exploit where you'd build a load of caravans and then construct a new wonder the turn after you discover the tech.

Comment

I hope it's not like mafia where your civ is comprised of all your facebook friends who play the game. People end up coming to forums and befriending loads of other players just to increase their power.

Comment

Lies! Surely it should be Sid Meier FIRAXIS?
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Just recently the founder/owner of Facebook stated very soon there will be no more networks, Im curious how this will get worked around?

If successful, Im game, I am pretty active on Facebook with a couple applications, would love to see how CIV will fare?

Thanks

Grandpa Troll
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Can't believe I have to log back in to Apolyton just to do this, but I wanted to show my support for the idea and added myself to the network.

I just HOPE that it doesn't become some "The Sims" style game, no girly stuff please. Fun does not always = cute and pretty colours. Don't forget your core audience are men.

Sid's plan is to probably expand Civ's market, and what better way to do that than Facebook. While many may see it as a bad idea, and fear for Civ's future, if done right, Facebook could lift Civ to new heights, which we can all safely admit that it badly needs.
                  be free

Comment

There are over 48,000 fans at Sid's FB site.
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Having bought pretty much every version of Civ ever made, I have to say that this is one I won't be playing. Sorry, but Facebook apps are too likely to be evil in any number of ways.
                      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Well you won't have to buy this one.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I had I. Love II. Despised III. Got too far behind the curve on IV by the time I decided to buy. Wondering if it it will be worth the effor to try V.
                          I'll still play II if anyone has an interest.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                          X