Automatic allcaps editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic allcaps editing

Admins, could you please disable this feature? It has truly annoying consequences. For example:

In this post, Solomwi quotes something I said, then apparently typed in "QFT" as a response. The system recognized this as an allcaps post, changed the response to "qft", and (here's the ridiculous part) changed both my quoted post as well as my username to all lowercase. Note that my post was a mix of uppercase and lowercase, as is my username.

Is there really any benefit to leaving this feature activated? If there is no simple way to disable it, could you please let me know?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Seriously. It makes my job as grammar mod that much more tedious.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

not a fan of it either.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        Seriously. It makes my job as grammar mod that much more tedious.
        If you ever edit one of my posts for grammar then I will hunt down your whole family and kill them all.

I am not kidding.
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The anti-capslock is not a "feature."
          It is torture. It is stupid.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

See you in 3 months KH.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
              If you ever edit one of my posts for grammar then I will hunt down your whole family and kill them all.

I am not kidding.
              Exciting!
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                See you in 3 months KH.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  Exciting!
                  Justifiable homicide.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'll note that he didn't actually threaten me, and that I'm not even fond of a great many of my family members.

Edit: That said, this ain't the OT, so let's try to stay on topic.

Comment

One more post on my "threat" for non-OT goers: Lori and I mess about enough that I have the reasonable assumption he will not take me seriously.

Admins, this is a completely ridiculous feature. Allcaps posts can occasionally be annoying, but in some cases they're completely justified (short posts, especially those containing only acronyms). I certainly don't notice enough capslock rants about that I'm bothered by them. I can only assume that this feature was automatically enabled during the upgrade to vB (???) that also gave us the puke green theme (while, interestingly enough, also leaving us without a puke smilie). If you can turn this off without extensive hacking then it seems like a no-brainer. It's managed to annoy me at least once a week since the upgrade/since I've been actively posting again.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Frankly, I suggest reversing the feature such that a post with no capitals is put into all caps with a torrent of smilies after it.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

that's unfair.
                          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                            THAT'S UNFAIR.
                            Whoa, back off there, buddy.

Comment

See, how awesome is that.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X