Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does it cost to keep poly open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does it cost to keep poly open?

Is the site losing money, making money, or breaking even? I ask because traffic seems to be way down from the peak in 2003 and we're now on our third ownership arrangement in just a year or so. Is the major problem financial or is it something else?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I can't imagine advertising is bringing in the funding it used to, PolyPlus can't generate *that* much money but I can imagine the time required to manage such a place is immense (fortunately it is voluntary) and the advertising in this day and age is going to be bringing in less and less as the number of visitors fall. But maybe it is enough to offset the cost of the hosting, so maybe cost isn't an issue. So, ultimately, it is going to end up being a labour of love. And at some point, DanQ is going to want to live his own life without having this millstone around his neck - he has been at this for a while at one level or another. Perhaps he just wants to get on with his life, career...and I don't know...perhaps he has a girlfriend, fiancee or something now...I just don't know. I mean, to be fair, it is not that he wants nothing to do with the place, but he has a life, you know?

That's my theory, anyway...that this place is an immense drain of time for the administrator. And alas, I doubt it is going to pay enough to be a full time job.
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I think almost everyone uses ad blocker these days which has to bite into ad revenue. If poly was really hard up I might be willing to exempt this site as a way to support it but I honestly don't know how to do that.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
        ...we're now on our third ownership arrangement in just a year or so.
        Uh, Markos left two and a half years ago. What?
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

We're on DanQ III now...the previous two were rubbish - they were German and couldn't speak English. And this one is going mad And apparently, the Off-Topic is considering declaring independence.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

And apparently, the Off-Topic is considering declaring independence.
            and we all know how well the PROT ended last time, no?
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Viva la revolucion!

To arms, comrades!
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
              X