Forum Upgrade and Searches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Upgrade and Searches

Before the recent upgrade, you could search the forums for an exact phrase. Can this be done now? I tried using Advanced Search and enclosing the phrase in quote marks (e.g., "edit signature"). However, enclosing a phrase in quotes seems to always return a spurious error message:

The search term you specified ("edit*signature") is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer. If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Good question. Based on my own testing, don't use quotation marks at least present -- it results in error messages regardless (save searching for one word, but there's no point in using them then). So far I have been unable to determine how to specify an exact phrase search, be it the search text field itself or within the search options.

What I have been able to do is reduce the minimum number of words to search for from 4 to 2 (the former was vB default).
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I think it should work now. vB uses strange options for things. We are using fulltext search, but the option that triggered the error was that wildcars for the internal search engine (which we aren't using) were turned off.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Yes, quoting a phrase in a search now works as expected. Thanks for the quick response!
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
        X