Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is easiest way to get posters to stop oversize picture/Attachment posting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is easiest way to get posters to stop oversize picture/Attachment posting?

What is easiest way to get posters to stop oversize picture/Attachment posting?

I ask so maybe a simple procedure could be used

This includes Staff doing it as well

Some images are just so huge makes very difficult viewing threads

Thanks in advance to our very busy Ownership/Admin and Staff

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Hi Bruce. Questions based on your own question ...

1. If the images are attached to, and not embedded in, a post how are they making thread viewing difficult? Or are you in fact referring to embedding ("oversized") images in posts?
    2. Also, would you define "oversize" as those that result in e.g. horizontal scrolling in a thread?
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
      Hi Bruce. Questions based on your own question ...

1. If the images are attached to, and not embedded in, a post how are they making thread viewing difficult? Or are you in fact referring to embedding ("oversized") images in posts?
      2. Also, would you define "oversize" as those that result in e.g. horizontal scrolling in a thread?
      Sorry DanQ

Embedded I believe is the term, you know, when a picture is so wide that you can't view without scrolling to the right quite a bit to read peoples posts below the image

We have such a case with FrostyBoy over in http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...67#post5474167

Plus his response doesnt help either

when asked to correct it

Originally posted by FrostyBoy
      No, annoying you gives me pleasure.

Just wait a few more posts and it won't bother you anymore.

Big is better, you should know, you're female.

Comment

Gee... you used to be big one of the biggest offenders on this one

But yeah, you are much better now

In the babe thread, I listed that as one of the rules. If I see a picture that violates it, I delete it or ask the poster to resize it.

In any other thread, we really don't have a set rule, but maybe we should.

Usually, we count on the posters to consider others, but obviously with Frosty Boy, this isn't the case.

It is a pain in the neck to catch every oversized picture and take action against it. And in the on topic forums, there are sometimes very good reasons for a larger picture.

But a very good point... Would people like to see a general rule in the OTF that no oversized pictures (or anything else that screws up the thread) are allowed?
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
          Gee... you used to be big one of the biggest offenders on this one

But yeah, you are much better now

In the babe thread, I listed that as one of the rules. If I see a picture that violates it, I delete it or ask the poster to resize it.

In any other thread, we really don't have a set rule, but maybe we should.

Usually, we count on the posters to consider others, but obviously with Frosty Boy, this isn't the case.

It is a pain in the neck to catch every oversized picture and take action against it. And in the on topic forums, there are sometimes very good reasons for a larger picture.

But a very good point... Would people like to see a general rule in the OTF that no oversized pictures (or anything else that screws up the thread) are allowed?
          You point out an excellent reason why I have a long road of trash to police up

I am almost off my medications now, head (and heart) clearing up, refocusing on a better,productive member of society here

This is one of many areas I am working on, and as before, apologize for my many shortcomings sir!

Thanks for the response though, I seem to have some memory of no oversized images or no marquee type alternatives and that deal, which I dont know how to do, where a browser appears inside the post.....

But, as pointed out, I am guilty so probably shouldnt say anything else due to being a fellow offender

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
            But, as pointed out, I am guilty so probably shouldnt say anything else due to being a fellow offender
            No... please feel free to speak up. I was kind of joking when I made the comment.

I hate it when I open a thread and a single post has made it difficult for most people to easily read the thread. I do see it as a problem.
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

No... please feel free to speak up. I was kind of joking when I made the comment.

I hate it when I open a thread and a single post has made it difficult for most people to easily read the thread. I do see it as a problem.

Yeah, but serious Ming, I did a lot of droppings i am not aware about but am guilty of

Its not a problem anymore, due to a new page being started, and Frostyboy had some very nice pictures, as I really enjoy this game Ming

And, as stated, much work to do, my last 2 years and 8 months looks much like the Capital Wasteland in fallout3, charred and many ugly monsters were created

Now, back to more contributing to the positive side for Apolyton

Comment

I agree with Grandpa Troll.

Some posters, myself included, like to have the "posts per page" set very high. So one single really large picture can and will make viewing very difficult for the whole thread, and for a long time.

Frostyboy's suggestion is that I could wait till enough posts happen to push it down off the page. Effectively this incentivizes spam posts. I'd prefer not to do that, but if that's what it takes for me to be able to view the page properly, I'm prepared to. It would be a shame to have to put in shedloads of junk posts to do this though, or sit around scrolling left-right through every single post because one person will not replace an embed with a hotlink even when asked.

I don't know if a hard rule is needed, but I do think it's one of the things that provisionally should be "mods do as needed". If it's a picture that nobody complains about, then leave it. But here you have somebody who actually has "staff" under their name flat-out refusing to cooperate. A clarification of staff privileges would help.

I have always taken the stance that Apolyton is ultimately the private property of DanQ et al. They're the ones hosting, and we post here at their sufferance and generosity. That having been said, I do think it's necessary to keep them and their appointed moderators appraised of what's going on on their boards so at least they know the sort of environment there is here.

Last point: Frostyboy is a good guy and the pictures he posted are absolutely beautiful. It makes me feel bad to have to complain about this, because I really do appreciate them both. Plus his avatar has ice cream. And that's just inherently awesome.
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

It's been changed now - thanks to the mods!

Is there some sort of forum tool that can convert too-large pics into hotlinks? I don't know if vB tech has this ability. To be fair, and I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot, Frostyboy's pictures were well chosen and relevant to the thread. The sole problem was they were too big.

I'm not asking the mods to intervene further in that thread. Just throwing that out there as a proposal for the future - that hotlinks would allow people to click through to see relevant, well-chosen pics without skewing the thread display.

Of course, this wouldn't impinge on their discretion in removing outright offensive pictures.
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                    II don't know if a hard rule is needed, but I do think it's one of the things that provisionally should be "mods do as needed". If it's a picture that nobody complains about, then leave it. But here you have somebody who actually has "staff" under their name flat-out refusing to cooperate. A clarification of staff privileges would help.
                    Please remember that there currently is no rule covering large pictures/images. You claim FB was refusing to cooperate... but you were demanding he do something that he didn't have to do. To him the picture was worth leaving up, and it didn't violate any rules.

The staff has to follow the rules the same as anybody else... and he was following the rules. I will admit that the staff probably gets cut a little more slack than the average poster since they contribute a serious amount of their free time to helping the site, but they have to follow the same rules.

And again, if a lot of people dislike oversized "posts' as much as I do, please speak up... Because a rule change would be easy.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

And again, if a lot of people dislike oversized "posts' as much as I do, please speak up... Because a rule change would be easy.
                      here's one vote against over sized pics.
                      (I too have many messages per page, so one message will generate a lot of trouble.)

One solution is of course to add the sender of suh messages to one's black list

Comment

While I always support viewing things on a case-to-case basis, I do agree that oversized pictures are not appropriate. While the definition of oversized is arguable, if people mess the thread up for some readers, they should comply if asked to edit the post.
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

You claim FB was refusing to cooperate... but you were demanding he do something that he didn't have to do. To him the picture was worth leaving up, and it didn't violate any rules.
                          I don't dispute this. I never said he failed to cooperate with a rule, just as I understand there is no rule he broke. I merely state that he was asked to edit his picture so that the jpeg didn't stretch the screen, and he refused to cooperate (with a non-authoritative, person-to-person request). He also said he enjoyed annoying me. Knowing Frostyboy, he probably said this in jest, and I'm half-inclined to take it as a joke in good humor, given his prior good-humored posts.

If there was a rule, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I'll add a vote to add a rule.

While it would be difficult to enforce completely since all the mods put together don't read ever post on this site, if it was a rule I wouldn't mind enforcing it when I see one.

Enforcement would be easy in my book. The mod could just edit out the picture. If the poster still thought it was that important that other posters see the picture, he would have incentive to resize it before reposting.

And If certain posters continuely violated the rule I'll repeat what I've said before. I may be old but I'm sure I could figure out something to punish them with.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Down with oversize pictures. Unless it is Grandpa Troll's Asian French Maid. Which isn't oversized, but damn well should be.
                              You've just proven signature advertising works!

Comment

Working...
                              X