PolyCast Episode 57: "Geeking Out"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast Episode 57: "Geeking Out"

It's a podcast about the Civilization series, so one may wonder if the title of PolyCast's fifty-seventh episode even needs to be said. An official podcast of Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS), its latest edition "Geeking Out" is now netcasting. Regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Makahlua and Imran Siddiqui are joined by first-time guest co-host David Troy "Wittlich" Binns.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy. This past summer, a special marking the release of its fiftieth episode this past summer was released with never-before-heard moments from production to that point. Now more than two years since making its online debut, it was a nominee in the "Best Produced" and "Gaming" categories of the 2008 Podcast Awards. Its sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding.

To date, ACS is the only known community on the Web to produce its own Civ podcasts.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

- 05m45s | Senate
    Trying one's hand at queue swapping in Civilization IV, helping combat inflation in-game, has a new form of "Infinite City Sprawl" emerged and how far is far when sending your Great Merchants afar.
    - 24m28s | Forum Talk
    Is there an anti-human bias in Civ IV.
    - 27m33s | Miscellaneous
    Inner workings of Civ IV's "Demographics" screen explained and how powerful is your computer.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Knowing the Civ IV technology tree by heart, new Hotseat mode courtesy the latest Civ IV: Beyond the Sword patch (3.17), playing on the highest game difficulty levels, on the first Civilization and CivNet with a longing for a return of Civilization II's High Council, and barbarian farming for experience (XP) in Civ IV.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Great ep! "Vitty" Troy was great (and should be invited FREQUENTLY).

To combat inflation or other woes of gold, you can also BUILD WEALTH. Greater number of cities facilitates doing this, so those "extra" cities can be devoted to doing so without messing up your other goals such as building units.

I have only once ever sent a great merchant abroad. I try to save one for Sid's Sushi (the only sushi I really care for ), and the rest go either for golden ages or are settled in my Wall Street city or great person farm(s) for the extra food.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
        Great ep!

"Vitty" Troy was great (and should be invited FREQUENTLY).

To combat inflation or other woes of gold, you can also BUILD WEALTH. Greater number of cities facilitates doing this, so those "extra" cities can be devoted to doing so without messing up your other goals such as building units.
        A very good addendum. We've mentioned the advantages in certain situations of switching city production to Wealth -- or at least as a possibility -- in a few episodes this season IIRC, including recently no less, but all of us failed to mention it in this instance.

... Sid's Sushi (the only sushi I really care for )...
        So QFT.

Comment

This was one of the more informative episodes of Polycast I've heard - I'm eager to try out the Demographics interpretations in my next game of civ.
          "Peace through superior firepower."

Comment

Originally posted by emeseles
            This was one of the more informative episodes of Polycast I've heard - I'm eager to try out the Demographics interpretations in my next game of civ.

We don't often due such information-heavy (Senate-heavy) episodes, so it's good to see it being well received for that aspect. (We could probably settle for it simply not being a detraction! )

I realize it's early since this episode's release to be receiving feedback, but that the first bit are positive is encouraging.

Comment

Good ep, but I would like to start hearing a bit more about other games.

For instance, whilst Poly does cover Civ (and Civ4 most recently) there are also listeners interested in other games covered (and not covered but related) such as:

- C4Col
              - Spore
              - Empire: Total War (or the whole Total War series TBH)
              - Elemental: War of Magic (the new Master of Magic from Stardock - YAH!)

I know there's not much about Elemental yet as it's slated for early 2010. But would be good to hear about some other games in the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                Good ep,

but I would like to start hearing a bit more about other games.

For instance, whilst Poly does cover Civ (and Civ4 most recently) there are also listeners interested in other games covered (and not covered but related) such as:

- C4Col
                - Spore
                - Empire: Total War (or the whole Total War series TBH)
                - Elemental: War of Magic (the new Master of Magic from Stardock - YAH!)

I know there's not much about Elemental yet as it's slated for early 2010. But would be good to hear about some other games in the genre.
                We have covered Civ4Col to a certain degree already, and will continue to do so.

However, none of the other games are covered by Apolyton and therefore we would at best mention one or more of them in passing from time-to-time.

Comment

What about more areas of Civ community life? Wittlich (who sounded like Sylvester the Cat for most of the episode) didn't mention them, but there is a dedicated mini-community of Diplogamers (Wittlich included), who would like more coverage.
                  Ceeforee v0.1 - The Unofficial Civ 4 Editor -= Something no Civ Modder should ever be without =- Last Updated: 27/03/2009
                  "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there's no conspiracy"

Comment

"If you give a person a fish, they'll eat for a day. If you teach a person to fish, they'll conquer you to get your fish resource."
                    "Peace through superior firepower."

Comment

Originally posted by MMC
                      What about more areas of Civ community life? Wittlich (who sounded like Sylvester the Cat for most of the episode) didn't mention them, but there is a dedicated mini-community of Diplogamers (Wittlich included), who would like more coverage.
                      It has not been disclosed publicly before, but since mid-September there has been on again/off again discussions amongst Poly staff of having a dedicated Diplogaming PolyCast special in fact. Unfortunately the individual(s) who were to spearhead it have been unable to commit to it due to external pressures, and therefore progress on this front has come to a halt.

With your inquiry, I will try to get that going again amongst the would-be leads. That said, if you or someone else in the Diplogaming community would be willing and able to participate, please get in touch with me by PM. That could help kickstart the effort again, and may in fact end up being what is needed to see it realized.

Beyond such a special, or even possibly instead of it, if someone involved in the DGing community would be willing and able to come onto PolyCast on a semi-regular basis for a quick chat about its progressions, please PM as well.

Ultimately, I'm certain something(s) could be arranged to increase DG coverage on PolyCast. On behalf of the show's team, and all Apolyton staff really, we'd welcome it.

Originally posted by emeseles
                      "If you give a person a fish, they'll eat for a day. If you teach a person to fish, they'll conquer you to get your fish resource."

Comment

Originally posted by MMC
                        ...Wittlich (who sounded like Sylvester the Cat for most of the episode)...
                        After listening to the PolyCast; I have to concur with MMC - the sound of my voice reminded me of Sylvester the Cat as well!
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                          After listening to the PolyCast; I have to concur with MMC - the sound of my voice reminded me of Sylvester the Cat as well!
                          I hadn't thought of that comparison myself either until MMC suggested it.

Comment

I remember hearing him "sufferin' succotash" ... not.
                            Honest, he didn't say it!

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
                              the sound of my voice reminded me of Sylvester the Cat as well!

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Working...
                              X