PolyCast "The First 50": Moments Never Heard Before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast "The First 50": Moments Never Heard Before

The longest running PolyCast production is its self-titled podcast on Civilization strategy. Join regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Makahlua, Imran Siddiqui and Annalee "Cartimandua" Barney as they reflect on the show's first 50 episodes recorded, produced and released over nearly two years running.

In so doing, they run down "The First 50: Moments Never Heard Before", a countdown of snippets that are being released to the public for the first time. In addition to an extended blooper reel, it also includes roughly several minutes worth of material from the show's unreleased pre-pilot with "DanQ", Makahlua and then regular Wouter "Locutus" Snijders who is now lead co-host on PC sibling show ModCast. This special runs 49m59s and is now available for netcasting.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production of Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS) in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy. To date, ACS is the only known community on the Web to produce its own Civ podcasts.
    Last edited by DanQ; October 19, 2008, 19:06.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

- 02m20s | The List
    The countdown begins: #50-34.
    - 08m57s | Discussion #1
    Sid Meier on Episode 50 and the 2007 Christmas Special "Girls Playing Civ" (plus a Pre-Pilot Flashback).
    - 12m29s | The List
    The countdown continues: #33-16.
    - 19m27s | Discussion #2
    Worst episodes to date, co-hosts numbers and on the Pre-Pilot (plus another Pre-Pilot Flashback).
    - 22m40s | The List
    The countdown rolls on: #15-11.
    - 24m45s | Discussion #3
    The first fourth regular co-host, another worst episode to date and guest co-hosts (plus the next Pre-Pilot Flashback).
    - 28m00s | The List
    The countdown begins its Top 10: #10-4.
    - 32m52s | Discussion #4
    Listening, recording and editing the show (plus yet another Pre-Pilot Flashback).
    - 37m53s | Discussion #5
    Reaching 50 episodes and things being said (plus one more Pre-Pilot Flashback).
    - 40m41s | The List
    The countdown concludes: #3-1.
    Last edited by DanQ; September 22, 2008, 10:48.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Oh no..

Well, DanQ, since no Warren Commission to clear me or no Tricky Dick to erase me, that means some of my now infamous off-color humor may make it after all

I swear I meant any/all comments in humor..but still meant them as entertainment
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

-- I don't think you have anything to worry about, GT.

To you and all listeners, enjoy.

Comment

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog

Thank you kindly. That's an example of the kind of feedback we love to receive!

Production on this was a long time coming (e.g. age of (some of) the clips) and a bit more... involved than your standard episode, or even special; I'm pleased that it's coming across as entertaining for listeners as I hoped it would and believe it does.

Comment

Just got round to listening to this one. I have to admit it took me a while to work out which bits were the 50 moments and which were you guys commenting on it. Nevertheless, I think I got there eventually and even laughed along with Imran in the end . . . now that freaked me out

You really have produced a extra big load of PolyCast goodness over the summer. I salute you

Comment

Originally posted by MontyLaremane
                Just got round to listening to this one. I have to admit it took me a while to work out which bits were the 50 moments and which were you guys commenting on it.
                Oh. I had hoped and thought the pauses between the end of comments and the actual moments, combined with the "half-beeps" to separate the end of moment on the list and the resumption of commenting, worked well for this purpose.

Perhaps longer pauses in any future such specials for I felt and still feel a beep or even "half-beep" at the beginning and the end of a moment would be a bit awkward, disrupting the flow of it all too much.

Nevertheless, I think I got there eventually

and even laughed along with Imran in the end . . . now that freaked me out

Did the pre-pilot clips and/or the bloopers, in whole or in part, freak you out as well?

You really have produced a extra big load of PolyCast goodness over the summer. I salute you
                Thank you kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                  Oh. I had hoped and thought the pauses between the end of comments and the actual moments, combined with the "half-beeps" to separate the end of moment on the list and the resumption of commenting, worked well for this purpose.
                  I listened back again and it's not as bad as I made out; I only needed to apply a little more concentration. I normally try to work a bit while listening to PolyCast, so perhaps that's my problem!

Did the pre-pilot clips and/or the bloopers, in whole or in part, freak you out as well?
                  I think I've heard you guys enough to not be surprised by them anymore That said, the pre-pilot snippets did make it clear how far you've come in two years: there's a markedly better balance and atmosphere now

Comment

even laughed along with Imran in the end . . . now that freaked me out
                    Admit I'm funny! Admit it!!
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I listened back again and it's not as bad as I made out; I only needed to apply a little more concentration. I normally try to work a bit while listening to PolyCast, so perhaps that's my problem!
                      Ah.

I think I've heard you guys enough to not be surprised by them anymore

That said, the pre-pilot snippets did make it clear how far you've come in two years: there's a markedly better balance and atmosphere now

Comment

Working...
                      X