Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ad problem

I had a similar situation before.

The "Seafight" banner hangs my browser every time.

Please don't ask for a screenshot...
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

I seem to get it every 2nd page. Ad abuse I say.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

clearly, PolyPlus is teh only answer then!
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Re: Ad problem

Originally posted by Wezil
        I had a similar situation before.

The "Seafight" banner hangs my browser every time.

You believe this ad to be coming from one of the advertising agencies contracted through Poly? It only appears while browsing Poly and you are reasonably certain your computer is free of adware et. al.?

What browser/version are you using?

Please don't ask for a screenshot...
        Can you not take one while your browser screen is frozen? Knowing the source of the image or the link that it would send you to would be of even more assistance but a screenshot would help too.

Short of that, where does the ad appear on your screen? I'm presuming you're referring to every "2nd page" on the forums -- what of (some) other sections of the site?

That all said I'll see if based on your description of "Seafight" alone I can isolate the source here. If anyone else believes they have/are experiencing this situation as well, following-up in this thread with particulars should help the investigation further.
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Re: Re: Ad problem

Originally posted by DanQ

You believe this ad to be coming from one of the advertising agencies contracted through Poly? It only appears while browsing Poly and you are reasonably certain your computer is free of adware et. al.?

What browser/version are you using?

Can you not take one while your browser screen is frozen? Knowing the source of the image or the link that it would send you to would be of even more assistance but a screenshot would help too.

Short of that, where does the ad appear on your screen? I'm presuming you're referring to every "2nd page" on the forums -- what of (some) other sections of the site?

That all said I'll see if based on your description of "Seafight" alone I can isolate the source here. If anyone else believes they have/are experiencing this situation as well, following-up in this thread with particulars should help the investigation further.
          It is the top of page banner that appears above the threads in a forum. There is always an ad there. When I post or refresh a page the ad may or may not be the same one. "Seafight" appeared about every second time yesterday. It eventually was so annoying I simply left the site for the day.

I use IE v7.

Thanks Dan. I'll let you know if I have the same problem today.

Comment

Thanks Dan. I'll let you know if I have the same problem today.
            Oh, no you won't!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Ad problem

It is the top of page banner that appears above the threads in a forum. There is always an ad there. When I post or refresh a page the ad may or may not be the same one.
              Ah -- that defines which ad size and placement is it being/has been served from.

"Seafight" appeared about every second time yesterday. It eventually was so annoying I simply left the site for the day.

I use IE v7.
              'k, noted.

Thanks Dan. I'll let you know if I have the same problem...
              Welcome, and thanks in advance. No one else has reported a similar problem in this thread or otherwise (that I know of) to date.
              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

The ad went away. I don't see that one anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
                  clearly, PolyPlus is teh only answer then!
                  I see you are already devouted to the staff.
                  USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                  The video may avatar is from

Comment

[threadjack]

BTW you actually needed a seperate account to be a DL, not a name change from Will9...

I am the real deal, Beavis. (check my user number 47775)

[/end threadjack]

Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I actually started using "everyone's DL" in my location field due to a joke I made about being everyone's DL. When I became part of the Staff, I changed it.
                      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                      The video may avatar is from

Comment

The ad went away. I don't see that one anymore.

Appreciate the follow-up.

Comment

It's back.

Unfortunately I think the problem is on my end. I don't experience the problem on my work computer, just at home.

Considering there have been no other complaints and I'm running a decrepit system with old software I'll take the blame.

Thanks anyway Dan.

Comment

It's back.

Unfortunately I think the problem is on my end. I don't experience the problem on my work computer, just at home.

Considering there have been no other complaints and I'm running a decrepit system with old software I'll take the blame.

I recommend both the Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy applications to assist if you believe you have adware or the like on your system. I use both of these programs myself as well as Spyware Blaster.

Thanks anyway Dan.
                            Welcome.

Comment

My reprieve is over.

"Seafight" is back and causing me grief again.

Comment

Working...
                              X