PolyCast Episode 34: "Don't Drink and Civ"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast Episode 34: "Don't Drink and Civ"

Another installment of podcasting goodness has been added to PolyCast's feed. Core panelists Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Wouter "Locutus" Snijders and Makahlua welcome back guest Methos from CFC in "Don't Drink and Civ" (59m59s).

PolyCast is the official and regularly bi-weekly one-hour audio production of Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS) is an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice. Though this is the last regular episode of the 2007 calendar year, watch for the release of the show's "Christmas Special" on December 24th; the next "Cut!" installment will precede it on December 21st.

ACS is the only known website to produce its own Civ podcast.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

MODCAST (04m12s)
    Is the Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword-introduced Wonder Statue of Zeus overpowered, on Frigates, Privateers and BtS' Ships of the Line, tweaking Banks and Universities and a return to terrain improvemnents a la Civilization II.

SENATE (13m30s)
    A CivIV Wonder whirl with going for the Apostolic Palace, adopting a Wonder economy and the five Best and Worst of the bunch post-BtS as per listener request. Then it's onto the use of Musketmen and having a multiple religion spread.

VAULT [NEWS, MODCAST] (33m21s)
    Of CivII's development as told by Lead Designer Brian Reynolds, CivIV  not requiring great hardware to run and honourable mentions for a previously published Top 10 list of signs of CivIV obsession.

RESEARCH LAB (45m08s)
    Three ideas for adding to and modifying corporations introduced by the BtS expansion for CivIV.

MAILBAG (51m04s)
    A voicemail describing how diplomacy is broken in CivIV multiplayer and looking back on the show itself for 2007.
    Last edited by DanQ; January 21, 2008, 14:51.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

So I was having trouble sleeping so I decided that I would go ahead and listen to PolyCast while I waited until morning.

Great Episode

I really liked the honerable mentions (Dan, did you really read that entire thread? I got board around 400 since they were 90% repeats)

And I think the show have been titled "Don't Drink and PolyCast"
      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
      The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Will
        So I was having trouble sleeping so I decided that I would go ahead and listen to PolyCast while I waited until morning.

Great Episode
        On behalf of myself and the entire panel, .

I really liked the honerable mentions
        Thanks.

Dan, did you really read that entire thread?
        At the time, ...

... since they were 90% repeats

That just goes without saying...

Comment

That just goes without saying...
          well yes. but whether it gets applied is an entirely different matter. i suppose that's confidential information?

ps answering a question you asked elsewhere, so i don't have to go find it again ... i download the episodes straight from the PC website (or archive) with my browser. i wouldn't know an RSS feed if it walked up and told me it was hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by KMadeleine
            well yes. but whether it gets applied is an entirely different matter. i suppose that's confidential information?

ps answering a question you asked elsewhere, so i don't have to go find it again ... i download the episodes straight from the PC website (or archive) with my browser.

i wouldn't know an RSS feed if it walked up and told me it was hungry.

Comment

Loved the obsession list!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                Loved the obsession list!

Comment

I just got around to listening to polycast, I was doing something not too interesting, and I thought It would be fitting to pair it with something that can be just as dull.

I was most pleasantly surprised. This is why I decided to chime in. This is one of the best episodes since spring, its hard to say why. I suppose I should try for the show’s sake though. The themed episodes were not too much to my taste, and the recent ones even though they were still good seemed dry much like the Civ4 forum.
                  This one had a good dynamic and I was actually paying attention most of the time. You guys seem to be improving in you’re performance, if this continues this show might even eventuallyseem pro.

Please note that I was very pleased to hear enough from Macki and that guy from evil CFC. Methos? I don’t remember, anyway he has a more distinct voice (if anyone remembers I suggested something like that a while back) that came into its own in the second part. Heaving more people like that is would boost the quality of the production.

Even though my thread wasn’t talked about much, I was pleased that DanQ got the idea of It right. Hey, how often does that happen?

Well that was a bit more than a chime, meh the Brandenburg concerts do that to me sometimes… anyhow quick recap:

Good one
                  -the pathetic guy
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

BTW on a side note: Yes I do have a bad short-term memory. But the motivation to post despite being in a hurry, is derived from the instant satisfaction gained by+1.
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                      I just got around to listening to polycast, I was doing something not too interesting, and I thought It would be fitting to pair it with something that can be just as dull.
                      Burn! ... Oh, ow!

I was most pleasantly surprised. This is why I decided to chime in. This is one of the best episodes since spring, its hard to say why. I suppose I should try for the show’s sake though.
                      We appreciate your providing some specifics to this end.

The themed episodes were not too much to my taste, and the recent ones even though they were still good seemed dry much like the Civ4 forum.
                      Out of curiosity, by "recent" do you mean since the last themed episodes or since an even more recent (episode) number?

This one had a good dynamic and I was actually paying attention most of the time. You guys seem to be improving in you’re performance,

if this continues this show might even eventuallyseem pro.
                      , yet -- so long as it's just "seem[s]"...

I was very pleased to hear enough from Macki
                      Can you ever really hear enough from Maki, though?

and that guy from evil CFC. Methos? I don’t remember,
                      -- yes, that's his nick ("Methos from CFC" here).

anyway he has a more distinct voice (if anyone remembers I suggested something like that a while back) that came into its own in the second part. Heaving more people like that is would boost the quality of the production.
                      Hmmm, do you mean (more) the tone/pitch -- overall sound -- of Methos' voice or his position(s) on the topics discussed? I cannot recall at the moment the particular point of yours you're referring to.

Even though my thread wasn’t talked about much, I was pleased that DanQ got the idea of It right. Hey, how often does that happen?

Well that was a bit more than a chime
                      to the details -- provides added meaning to the feedback.

anyhow quick recap:

Good one

Any particular favourite topic(s)/segment(s) this time around?

-the pathetic guy

Comment

Working...
                      X