PolyCast Episode 31: "Is This Where I Hit Mute?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast Episode 31: "Is This Where I Hit Mute?"

Say hello to the thirty-first episode of PolyCast, the official podcast of Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS). "Is This Where I Hit Mute?" (59m40s) features regular panelists Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Wouter "Locutus" Snijders, Makahlua, and Imran Siddiqui with returning guest co-host Joe "snoopy369" Matise.

The official and regularly bi-weekly one-hour audio production of ACS, PolyCast is an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice. Its team is currently seeking your input on a few direct issues towards improving the show. ACS is the only known website to produce its own Civ podcast.
    Last edited by DanQ; November 5, 2007, 01:01.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

NEWS (05m01s)
    A Firaxian by the handle "DeathMonkey" is speaking in not one but two gaming forums about Civilization: Revolution, and there's not one but -- yes -- two hands-on previews of this upcoming title.

MODCAST (25m50s)
    Resources and production: speed up, not allow or deny, presence of Espionage Economy in Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, are mounted units underrated in CivIV and kicking levees to the curb.

SENATE (46m22s)
    Can there be any best starting technology combination in CivIV, the usefulness of coal, and moving your capital.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Good Stuff! While I yawned during the News I also had a beer (I rarely have more than one).

By the time the Senate came around I was having a second beer (yahoo!) and ... I'd never thought about disconnecting coal. I might check that out in my current game (don't know where coal is yet) ... raze the fort or coal mine when oil connected, raze the road/rail, rebuild the mine if a workable one.

Temporarily a happy camper (but I'm pondering having a THIRD beer, would be the first time in years)!

Comment

Hmmm, time for a new slogan?

PolyCast: Turning civvers into alcoholics
        PolyCast: If THIS doesn't drive you to alcohol, nothing will
        PolyCast: Adding a whole new meaning to Civilization Anonymous
        PolyCast: Better drunk

Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Nice episode...
          But Macki should talk even more
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
            Good Stuff!

While I yawned during the News I also had a beer (I rarely have more than one).

By the time the Senate came around[...] I'd never thought about disconnecting coal. I might check that out in my current game (don't know where coal is yet) ... raze the fort or coal mine when oil connected, raze the road/rail, rebuild the mine if a workable one.
            Let us know how it works out.

Temporarily a happy camper (but I'm pondering having a THIRD beer, would be the first time in years)!

Originally posted by Locutus
            Hmmm, time for a new slogan? ...

The best one of those, IMO, is the fourth.

Originally posted by Heraclitus
            Nice episode...

But Macki should talk even more

Comment

Pretty good episode.

Some of the discussion about civrev was quite interesting - particulalrly since it seems Joe can out talk Imran!

I also had never really thought about disconnecting coal - but I tend to agree - what about the !
              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                Pretty good episode.

Some of the discussion about civrev was quite interesting - particulalrly since it seems Joe can out talk Imran!

I also had never really thought about disconnecting coal - but I tend to agree - what about the !

Comment

With regards to your conversation on horse troops underrated. Nobody mentioned the powerful flanking promotion (in bts) which is one of the only ways to prevent a large stack of catapults/trebuchets from ripping you a new one.

Re- Moving capital can be useful if you have the majority of your cities on continent 1 and you haven't yet moved to continent 2. You can build Versailles on Continent 1, as your continent 2 cities do not have the production yet to beat someone else to it. Then later when continent 2 has filled out you can move your capital to reduce cost.

Not that great of a strat as
                  1. Versailles sux
                  2. The equiv national wonder can be built instead
                  3. State property may be a better option.
                  Last edited by frenzyfol; November 6, 2007, 01:30.

Comment

The identity of this "DeathMonkey" intrigues me...
                    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                      I've been bested
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I've been bested

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Working...
                        X