PolyCast Episode 30: "Let There Be Shiny"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast Episode 30: "Let There Be Shiny"

Last week brought and next week brings with it a PolyCast, and so does this week. The podcast's thirtieth episode, "Let There Be Shiny" (59m53s), is now available. The co-hosts are again first-time guest Oscar "Elhoim" Velzi with regular panelists Daniel "DanQ" Quick and Wouter "Locutus" Snijders and returning guest co-hosts Kenneth "Impaler[WrG]" Ferland and Tony "GarretSidzaka" Kiehl.

The official and regularly bi-weekly one-hour audio production of Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS), PolyCast is an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice. Its team is currently seeking your input on a few direct issues towards improving the show. ACS is the only known website to produce its own Civ podcast.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

NEWS (02m17s)
    Revisting the technology tree in Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords in anticipation of the Twilight of the Arnor expansion.

MODCAST (10m56s)
    Some religions are still founded too late still post-Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword and to barb or not to barb -- that is the question.

WORKSHOP (27m11s)
    Unit modelling in CivIV and the status of the next generation of "GarretSidzaka"'s "Second Revolution" MOD for the game. Plus: Derek "Kael" Paxton on the composition of the CivIV "Fall from Heaven" MOD team and the only individual to turn down his invitation to join the group... initially.

SENATE (33m53s)
    Is the Code of Law technology overrated and Civics choices for a spacerace victory.

VAULT (SENATE) (42m30s)
    Preferring to start a game of CivIV with either a scout or a warrior and, nineteen episodes late but better than never, the 5 worst CivIV Wonders pre-BtS.

MAILBAG (52m58s)
    An email message for correcting a font load error in Civilization III: Conquests on the Windows Vista operating system.
    Last edited by DanQ; April 10, 2008, 21:45.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

the 5 worst wonders segment was pretty funny
      "

Comment

Originally posted by EPW

Comment

Not Found

The requested URL /episode27.mp3 was not found on this server.

I'm getting that will all the poly mp3's

Comment

I get mine from iTunes - if that helps......
            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by frenzyfol
              Not Found

The requested URL /episode27.mp3 was not found on this server.
              -- the link errors affected the few most recently added episodes to the Archive page and I've now corrected it.

Appreciate the report!

Comment

Originally posted by EPW
                What he said. I laughed quite a few times and the points were rather insightful.

Episode 30 was another enjoyable Polycast - the production quality continues to improve with every episode. I look forward to the next one.
                I keep a record of all my civ games here.

aÅ¡tassi kammu naklu Å¡a Å¡umeri ṣullulu akkadû ana Å¡utēÅ¡uri aÅ¡ṭu
                "I am able to read texts so sophisticated that the Sumerian is obscure and the Akkadian hard to explain" (King Assurbanipal of Assyria 7th century BC)

Comment

Originally posted by ayronis
                  What he said. I laughed quite a few times and the points were rather insightful.
                  It's always satisfying to learn of listeners enjoying an episode, particularly which topic(s) and/or segment(s) if any stand out enough that they would like to note specifically.

In short then, thanks.

Episode 30 was another enjoyable Polycast -the production quality continues to improve with every episode.
                  Thank you kindly.

I look forward to the next one.

Out of curiosity, how long have you been listening to the show? I send this question out to EPW and frenzyfol as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                    Out of curiosity, how long have you been listening to the show? I send this question out to EPW and frenzyfol as well.
                    I started with episode 20 but I have missed episodes, especially when there were weekly episodes. I went back and tried listening to some of the earlier episodes but the hosts hadn't developed the back-and-forth they now possess and I enjoyed them less.

Right now, I think the best part of the show is the difference of opinions between the hosts regarding various topics. It shows the diversity of players who enjoy civ and I thing you do a good job of expressing that. If I could suggest anything, it would be to trim the long fits of laughter. Although laughing is fun, especially when we're laughing with you, when we're not sharing the laugh it can be tedious waiting for the show to move on. It's a small quibble though, you guys are getting better every episode. Keep it up.
                    I keep a record of all my civ games here.

aÅ¡tassi kammu naklu Å¡a Å¡umeri ṣullulu akkadû ana Å¡utēÅ¡uri aÅ¡ṭu
                    "I am able to read texts so sophisticated that the Sumerian is obscure and the Akkadian hard to explain" (King Assurbanipal of Assyria 7th century BC)

Comment

... but I have missed episodes, especially when there were weekly episodes.
                      That I can appreciate. We've been liking to hear ourselves talk more often than not recently...

I went back and tried listening to some of the earlier episodes but the hosts hadn't developed the back-and-forth they now possess and I enjoyed them less.
                      That's true, re: the banter -- some of the earliest shows were "rough around the edges". We seem to have come far in that respect anyway.

Right now, I think the best part of the show is the difference of opinions between the hosts regarding various topics. It shows the diversity of players who enjoy civ and I thing you do a good job of expressing that.
                      On behalf of the team, thank you for that.

If I could suggest anything, it would be to trim the long fits of laughter. Although laughing is fun, especially when we're laughing with you, when we're not sharing the laugh it can be tedious waiting for the show to move on. It's a small quibble though, you guys are getting better every episode. Keep it up.
                      If all you have in terms of a suggestion is this small quibble, than that is encouraging to us.

It's often a judgment call in editing how long to let a laugh run or even if you're going to include a joke at all in thinking about the context, e.g. if Joke X is kept in, has it been 'built-up' enough to make it humourous for the audience too? How humourous will it likely be to the audience relative to how funny we, the co-hosts, found it? Is it an in-joke and, if so, to what extent?

As the primary and near exclusive editor of the show in post-production, I will continue to ask myself these questions and see if and how I can fine tune them (and their answers) further.

Comment

Right now, I think the best part of the show is the difference of opinions between the hosts regarding various topics. It shows the diversity of players who enjoy civ and I thing you do a good job of expressing that.

I agree!

Good episode - just finished listening to it last night.

The worst 5 wonders discussion was good - maybe time for a post BtS update on this?
                        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog

I agree!

Good episode - just finished listening to it last night.

The worst 5 wonders discussion was good - maybe time for a post BtS update on this?
                          Maybe...

Comment

Working...
                          X