Notice: DNS Changes Pending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notice: DNS Changes Pending

Please note that within the next 48-72hrs. you may experience connection difficulties to Apolyton Civilization Site; if so, this is the result of Domain Name Server (DNS) changes and will require your Internet Service Provider (ISP) updating its DNS records. Most ISPs update these records every 2-3 days or less.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

And thank you for the heads up.

Just asking, but is this done automatically or do we have to contact someone at our provider?

Thanks

Gramps
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

It's automatic
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

...and if all goes well you won't even notice.
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

If there are problems can't we connect using the IP address?

Comment

In this case yes, you could, though your browsing experience would be limited and only as a 'last resource' (it's generally not recommended).
            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I didn't know the service would differ.

And anyway, maybe you should still post the address since it would be better than nothing for someone having problems.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                I didn't know the service would differ.
                Some services may not be (easily) available/accessible, or if they are appear 'broken' if you use the IP address.

And anyway, maybe you should still post the address since it would be better than nothing for someone having problems.
                Still, we'd rather not. For those looking for it though, you can for example perform a ping on apolyton.net to determine our/the domain's IP address.

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                  you can for example perform a ping on apolyton.net to determine our/the domain's IP address.

So your saying I should just wait for a day or two if I have problems connecting?
                  I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog

So your saying I should just wait for a day or two if I have problems connecting?
                    Yes. We have experience from an earlier occation when we instructed users to brows from the IP. The result was that the IP was used for browsing the site for years. One of the purpouses of DNS is to allow changing of the server a given address leads to. If users that don't know how to fetch information on an IP-address, or even don't know what an IP address is are instructed to brows from such an address experience show that they will update their bookmarks, and as long as it sort of works (with limited browsing experience) they will not change back to using the domain name, and in the event that we need to point the domain on a different IP (as in the resent move from Settler III) they will think that the server is down.

So, for short, if you know what you are doing, and how to do it, then you may use the IP-address, but we are not recommending it, nor giving any URLs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                      So, for short, if you know what you are doing, and how to do it,
                      That counts me out then........

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Thanks all for the expert answers!

I will miss Poly and shall decide to not look upon it as a sign from the gODS of Poly Palacedom punishing me for leaving the castle!

(slight bit of demented but otherwise normal Gramps humor)
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

It looks like the civaholics are already in withdrawl. LOL

Comment

Our host provider has messed up some information in the DNS records. This means that domains other than apolyton.net, civilization4.net and galciv2.net (which are high priority) might experience some extended issues.

Comment

All domains should now have the correct info, so the above scenario of extended unavailability for certain domains will not happen.

Now it's only to wait for everything to update and properly propagate among nameservers. If nothing has broken down for you by 1 am Apolyton Time, chances are good that your ISP won't have any issues at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X