Article: PolyCast Cut! Episode 16: "Something to Talk About"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: PolyCast Cut! Episode 16: "Something to Talk About"

The official Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS) podcast turns sweet sixteen. An over-sized `News` segment focusing on the Beyond the Sword expansion for Civilization IV is accompanied by `Modcast` and `Mailbag' in "Something to Talk About". Co-hosted by Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Wouter "Locutus" Snijders, Imran Siddiqui, Makahlua and returning guest co-host Bruce "Grandpa Troll" Cronkite, total runtime is 59m:57s (27.7MB).

PolyCast is a bi-weekly, roughly one-hour production in an effort to give the Civ community now an interactive voice. Contributing greatly to the show`s interactive capability are means to call-in via Skype, telephone and email the co-hosts your questions or comments about Civ the game, community, or the show and Apolyton itself.

ACS is the first and to date only known Civ fansite to produce its own podcast.
    1 (atrocious)
    14.29%
    2 (dismal)
    0.00%
    3 (poor)
    0.00%
    4 (medicore)
    0.00%
    5 (average)
    0.00%
    6 (good)
    0.00%
    7 (very good)
    28.57%
    8 (excellent)
    14.29%
    9 (superior)
    0.00%
    10 (perfect)
    42.86%
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

NEWS (03m54s)
    Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword extravaganza! IGN preview, interview, GameSpot first look, EuroGamer preview (with errors) and PC Gamer preview [CFC] are discussed by game topic as opposed to individually. The order and timing for each is: trade routes (04m35s), corporations (11m20s), random events (12m51s), espionage (14m43s), units (19m26s), leaders (24m12s), revolutions (29m54s), advanced starts (36m12s), Apostolic Palace (39m48s) and scenarios (41m49s).

MODCAST (44m14s)
    The reportedly worst three concepts in the history of gaming, though with two questionably defined the focus turns to the third point -- vassal states.

MAILBAG (47m10s)
    An honest-to-goodness, on-topic voicemail to respond to and 'kniteowl' on discussion from the previous episode.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

i just listened to the show...

first of all let me say that it is good to actually hear the voices of those of the site that i spend so much time on. secondly, not to be biased here, but i agree with almost everything that Locutus had said. i am not a big micromanager and i am glad that on topics like Espionage and Trade Routes there is a more streamlined approach to it. i actually did not know that much about BtS before i listened to the show and it is good to have a good summary like the one that you have provided. Looking forward to BtS and the next Polycast! Thanks...
      ...and pieceâ„¢
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

U

Originally posted by AAHZ
        i just listened to the show...

first of all let me say that it is good to actually hear the voices of those of the site that i spend so much time on.

secondly, not to be biased here, but i agree with almost everything that Locutus had said. i am not a big micromanager and i am glad that on topics like Espionage and Trade Routes there is a more streamlined approach to it.
        Since it sounds as though you didn't disagree with everything I said, OK then.

i actually did not know that much about BtS before i listened to the show and it is good to have a good summary like the one that you have provided.
        Glad you found it informative!

Looking forward to BtS and the next Polycast! Thanks...
        You're welcome, and thank you for your feedback.

Out of curiosity, was this the first PolyCast that you listened to?

Comment

Re: U

Originally posted by DanQ
          Out of curiosity, was this the first PolyCast that you listened to?
          actually i have been listening since episode 12.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Re: Re: U

Originally posted by AAHZ
            actually i have been listening since episode 12.

Hope you've enjoyed Episodes 12-5 as well, and will consider going through even earlier episodes too (not to mention bloopers, promos and the "Cut!" side series).

Comment

Good episode. I love all the speculation.

Comment

Sshh! We don't want Dan thinking that people actually listen to this
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Shafer
                  Good episode. I love all the speculation.
                  and -- some of us have to be coy.

Originally posted by Solver
                  Sshh! We don't want Dan thinking that people actually listen to this
                  Are you suggesting that Jon is not a person? Tisk, tisk.

Comment

Good job on reducing the show to under an hour and still having it make any kind of sense, Dan. I wonder, will the Cut be longer than the actual episode?
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                      Good job on reducing the show to under an hour and still having it make any kind of sense, Dan.
                      Thanks, Wouter.

I wonder, will the Cut be longer than the actual episode?

It's going to be... close.

Comment

Listened to the show today.

Good show.

The sound was better this time - but is there any way to "level" out the volume of each persons voice? Sounded like Grandpa Troll was right next to me, and that Dan was in the next room.

Might also have something to do with the fact that I was listening to it at work - through the cruddy built in PC speaker.........
                        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                          Listened to the show today.

Good show.

The sound was better this time

but is there any way to "level" out the volume of each persons voice? Sounded like Grandpa Troll was right next to me, and that Dan was in the next room.
                          Leveling has been applied to each person's voice, as well as some gain otherwise on my and (if I recall correctly) Maki's voice -- the latter of which is time consuming. Increasing the volume too much generates distortion.

Leveling is all relative to the strength of everyone's voice collectively; I had lowered GT's volume 'universally' prior to leveling, but indeed a notable discrepancy does remain in this episode. For better or worse it's a balancing act, and ultimately the quality of the initial record itself determines considerably how effective (or not) post-production on it can be.

I had inadvertently lowered the gain on my record volume prior to recording this episode, and didn't discover this until after we were done... I too was wondering why I sounded more faint than usual.

Might also have something to do with the fact that I was listening to it at work - through the cruddy built in PC speaker.........
                          This almost certainly exaggerated the discrepancy, but was not the source of it. Thanks for noting this.

I don't suppose any of your co-workers will now be tuning in themselves?

Comment

Who doesn't have the entire office listening to polycast?

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                              I don't suppose any of your co-workers will now be tuning in themselves?
                              They should al be working - not mucking around on the internet...............
                              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Working...
                              X