If Apolyton is not a democracy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are more possible options

Communism (not to be confused with Stalinism, see below)
    Everyone is equal, personal properties of means of production do not exist. Nobody is there to tell you what to do, and there is no need, because you are so enlightened and educated, that you know by yourself what is best to contribute to the wealth of The People. And you don't get any reward for your contribution either, because likewise you can use every service and obtain every good you need at no cost. Very nice, but an utopy, alas! And certainly not true for Apolyton. Even though the service of the site is generally free, there are still "owners". What concerns "enlightened" and "educated", let's not talk about that, mmkay? And there is the ugly and disturbing fact of people disappearing without a trace. Sounds more like the next choice...

Stalinism
    Glory to the Party of Workers and Peasants! We, your leaders, know best what is in our your interest, and we will enforce you to do exactly that. To your own benefit, of course. And you will gladly and by your free will do what you're told or else! You can tell your opinion freely without repression. As long as it's along the lines you've been taught by us, of course. Every now and then there are some polls where you can freely meet your choice in irrelevant important matters. We will monitor your votes and correct them, of course! In the end you will have the nice feeling, that your opinion counts, and we will do what we intended in the first place. Should it however turn out, that you are a capitalist pigdog, we will XXXX XXX XX XXX XXXX XXXX (censored!). No traces of you shall be found once and for all, not even browsing the member list and search function. You have been warned.
    Last edited by Harovan; February 28, 2007, 11:47.

Comment

What's a society ruled by demigods?

In the forum society, the vast majority of members have equal powers - nearly none - in fact pretty much only the power to communicate.
      But a few special "members" have godlike powers, including the ability to prevent others from talking (banning) and even changing the record of other members communications (editing and deleting posts).

I justify this by saying that the power the mods have in the Apolyton Realm is vested by the software (the realm itself). This is in contrast with merely having the power to order someone to be silent.

As an analogy, god-like powers would be to be able to point at someone and roar "Silence" rendering them physically unable to speak (but otherwise unharmed).
      More mundane "power" would be for example threatening to beat them to death if they speak - but they STILL can speak they simply have an incentive not to.

The powers a mod have are clearly god-like, they roar "Silence!" and the member is unable to speak.

As such we are not dealing with a society familiar to mortals.

Theocracy is close, except a Theocracy is ruled by people who only claim to have the mandate of god or whatever - but there is no evidence for them. This is a case where the mods actually have real powers vested in them by the God(s) of the Realm.

I henceforth propose:
      Demoncracy. A realm ruled by beings with demonic power, able to silence and banish any who dissent. Will take your soul in exchange for privileges like "PolyPlus"

Comment

Amazing. I never thought to read something about "Theory of the

Will" with "magic", "godlike" words.

And by a person that, probably, is engineer or close.

Congratulations,Blake.

Best regards,

Comment

Demoncracy is pretty good!

What about Demoncrazy?

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
            Demoncracy.

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
            Stalinism.

You could also mention the Stalinist regime's tendency to alter recorded history. "Disappeared" people really do disappear from all public records, documents and history books are edited to remove anything unfavorable to the regime, and to expound the regime's party line.

Comment

Good call!

Comment

I think it is a spamocracy.

Comment

Only when you're around
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Or those who have been taught some manners not to spam a thread and flame the starter, if they have no interest in it. Don't have the will to contribute? Stay out. It's that simple. And if you really don't yet have heard the quite often cited sentence "Apolyton is not a democracy", it's your loss. I don't feel obliged to explain it.

I can clearly see that Apolyton is far from being anything like an enlightened society. In fact, it looks increasingly like Barbarianism, the more often I open it. Or perhaps a Shivacracy.
                    No offense meant, Ralphie

I am just on a private crusade against the notion that Apolyton has any form of government whatsoever.

But if I truly did offend you, then you have my apologies. It was not my intention.

Asmodean
                    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Don't worry, he just had crankypuffs for breakfast again.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                        Only when you're around
                        Pot calling the Kettle black?

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean

No offense meant, Ralphie

I am just on a private crusade against the notion that Apolyton has any form of government whatsoever.

But if I truly did offend you, then you have my apologies. It was not my intention.

Asmodean

ditto
                          I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Mein FAQ

If you don’t agree with the rules “go east"… Uhh ….I mean go to another website.
                            I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Very funny post Sir Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by nugog

Pot calling the Kettle black?

He can't help it.

Comment

Working...
                                X