Column #227: One Civ, Many Worlds -- by Soren Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Column #227: One Civ, Many Worlds -- by Soren Johnson

We`ve received yet another excerpt from the 96-page book The Chronicles of Civilization that is packaged with the recently released Civilization Chronicles. This time it`s a chapter written by Civilization IV Lead Designer Soren Johnson about the online Civilization community.

The article makes frequent mention of Apolyton: among other things it reveals that Soren learned through this site about the developments that took place surrounding Firaxis Games in the time that Brian Reynolds left the company and that because of this they were hiring, at which point he seized the opportunity to apply for a job with the company.

That`s not the focus of the article though, which is the online Civilization community and the many ways in which a Civ game can be played: from OCC to Succession Games, from Democracy Games to Apolyton University and from variants to modding.

[...] I moved to Maryland a few weeks later, eager to start my job. My head was full of ideas based on my experience with Civ and Alpha Centauri. I thought I knew all of the ins and outs of Civ. I had logged countless hours playing the game, had always wanted to make historical strategy games, and was full of enthusiasm to make my mark in gaming. If anyone was an expert on the Civ series, it must be me.

I was dead wrong.
    We`ve published this article in two parts as a Column: PART 1 and PART 2. Thanks to 2K Games and Firaxis for providing us the article, and of course to Soren Johnson for writing it
    Last edited by Locutus; November 1, 2006, 20:33.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Damn, no longer eternal fame as the last column writer.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

diplogames ftw

we got mentioned! yeay!
      Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

unfortunately he only talks of the world outside of firaxis, nothing from inside.

Most experienced apolyton members could tell us similar things

Comment

Originally posted by powerplayer
            unfortunately he only talks of the world outside of firaxis, nothing from inside.

Most experienced apolyton members could tell us similar things
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

A nice read.

Comment

Yup, nice read indeed
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

It's good to see this article getting some attention here... finally.
                  PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                  >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Working...
                  X