Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable the '(@) key from opening a search window on poly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable the '(@) key from opening a search window on poly?

Well i think this is a poly issue? I've checked in my control panel options and don't see a way to disable it.

It's getting a bit annoying when i want to use punctuation in my post, like 'it's' or 'I'm'. as soon as i press the ' key i get a pop up search bar on the bottom of the screen.

someone tell this is not Mozilla? as it only happens here?

I've never had anythingl like that happen
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I may speak for many when I say, "eh?"

Comment

You have a distinct @ key?
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

As per the thread title the ' and the @ are on the same key, as opposed to the @ being above the 2.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

' is the find-as-you-type key in mozilla/firefox. it shouldn't activate in text input fields...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Indeed. There are a few bugs with that though, I think they fixed it around 1.5.0.1 or so... I was occasionally having trouble with it before that, it would randomly decide to accept every ' keypress as a find (and / would do it too, as that's also apparently a shortcut to find when not in text field)
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

As others have said, that's a firefox thing, not a poly thing.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

I've never had a problem with that with Firefox...didn't even know that ' brought up find until now...

Comment

I use Opera, so funnily enough it has never happened to me either.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

It seems Firefox's never been very particular about input focus... if I knew how to separate and duplicate those cases where input goes somewhere else than the foreground tab, I'd report it as a bug. Alas, I don't, so I live with Firefox and its habit of occasionally letting a background tab steal focus .
                      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Are you using 1.5.x?

There's been a huge amount of changes in tab behavior and design for Firefox 2 (alpha 3 just came out).
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I remember I used to have some minor troubles with that, though that's quite some time ago.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I've still been having this trouble, mainly on Hotmail. But not at Apolyton. As you can see, I have used the key in this thread without any problems...
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

sorry for the late reply, but the problem resolved itself shortly afterwards - it had been happening on and off while visiting poly(but not other sites?), but the firefox update has fixed the issue. so i can do '''''''''' ' ' ' ' ' as much as i like now when writeing a post.

' '' ' ' ' ' ' ' thanks for all your remarks

Comment

Working...
                              X