Why does Apolyton carry spyware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Apolyton carry spyware?

I've recently activated Spybot software. As I navigate Apolyton I get repeated messages saying it's blocked "Avenue A, Inc." and "Double Click". Avenue A is well known spyware. Why do you permit it to be downloaded from your site onto unsuspecting users? I don't find it on any of the other sites that I frequent.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

I don't get such things.

Maybe you have something installed on your machine that is causing you to have those popups when you visit Poly.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Why does Apolyton carry spyware?

Originally posted by techumseh
      Why do you permit it to be downloaded from your site onto unsuspecting users?
      Why do you accuse us of such a thing with no proof?
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

doubleclick is advertising, it puts a cookie on your computer. It barely qualifies as spyware, and it certainly isn't malicious. Does SpyBot say what it is blocking, not just from whom?

Comment

Re: Re: Why does Apolyton carry spyware?

Originally posted by MarkG
          Why do you accuse us of such a thing with no proof?
          My spyware program shows Avenue A, Inc. attempting to download to my computer everytime I click a new page on Apolyton. If you took my question to mean that you were deliberately doing this, I apologize.
          Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

apology accepted

when someone permits something, it's easily assumed that he is aware of it's existance...

now, if you could provide more information (url's, screenshots) on which exact ads display create this warning on your pc we could look into it and act
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Why does Apolyton carry spyware?

Originally posted by techumseh
              My spyware program shows Avenue A, Inc. attempting to download to my computer everytime I click a new page on Apolyton.
              Use Firefox. It fixes at least 95% of such problems.

You should also adjust the setting of your browser so it will ask you before allowing a cookie.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why does Apolyton carry spyware?

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Use Firefox. It fixes at least 95% of such problems.

You should also adjust the setting of your browser so it will ask you before allowing a cookie.
                its also capable of fixing that most serious of all problems, ads themselves

or you could get PLUS,which would also work...
                if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
                X