The GOOD and the BAD about forums.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GOOD and the BAD about forums.

I've noticed that before a game comes out, forums are pretty much nothing but GOOD:

like minded (with arguements) people hangin' out waiting for a game...

making suggestions, etc... all good.

Then you get the game and play it and have fun... etc... and the BAD of a forum can happen:

You log in read a post about this or that problem (which you never noticed and didn't care about) and WHAM! The game seems less... shiny than it did before. Erg... now you need to post your OWN complaints thread and... well, that's how it is for me sometimes.

I'm actually thinking about disappearing until at least a YEAR after release of civ iv so I can discover all the things I like and don't like on my own this time. Maybe, unlike w/civ 3, I'll be happier with the game.

Definately, this has happened to me if I got too caught up in the negatives... I recall this affecting my Hearts of Iron experience...

Which sucked, since I had been a huge part of the Paradox community at the time and waited for that release for months..... the feeling when I was one of the first in the WORLD to purchase it was like nothing else..

Then the problems cropped up, and I ended up spending more time chasing problems than playing the game.

I promise not to do that with CivIV, though! From what I've read, I shouldn't worry.

Then again, I got all hot and bothered about NHL 2006 (EA Sports), and found a game-killing bug in franchise mode that EA refuses to acknowledge as a bug [they called it a "feature" for me to be able to change my own lines in franchise mode when I was the away team, brilliant!]

Ok, now I'm ranting...

Comment

Just don't read those forums!

Easy as that, There is loads of stuff to er, enjoy at 'poly outside of the Civ forums. If you're having trouble winning, read the strategy forums - it's likely that most bug whining threads will be confined to the General forum anyway.

Comment

GOOD
        top notch strategy discussions.i followed civ3 strategy for awile just because i liked it.later when the game was boring i stopped

BAD
        stiff admins that dont like DLs

seriously,i would say the loser\noob posts that people make. like my first post in AC forum,i would probably ban myself inthe past if i was the mod lolz.bug whine threads suck,but when its like RTW when they have merit,i just leave,because the game isnt worth playing. unfortunatly this happans more and more lately
        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
          Just don't read those forums!

Easy as that, There is loads of stuff to er, enjoy at 'poly outside of the Civ forums. If you're having trouble winning, read the strategy forums - it's likely that most bug whining threads will be confined to the General forum anyway.
          plus, and being in management I cant help but want to look past the "whining" and look at a possible "root" cause..

some whinings/ranting/or ugly posts come from frustration or inability to think under stress from lack of abilities to perform

I have read posts like "This game sux" because it wont do this

maybe a little explanation to what a game will or wont do may help

Im not an expert at much but have been able to help some newer folks instead of slamming them

I kinda think its too bad for Noobie Jack MeOff to come wandering into this den of inequity and be eaten alive by Pirahana Posters when needing some help is what they wanted to start with

But thats survival of the fittest

Gramps
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Cataphract887

stiff admins that dont like DLs
            Haw, haw. Good joke.

Comment

it was? i didnt think so. just what came ot mind when i saw BAD
              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

I agree with dearmad. Gaming forums should be done away with.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                  I agree with dearmad. Gaming forums should be done away with.
                  WHAT?

Just what the heck do you expect me to do at work then
                  *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                    I agree with Grandpa Troll, who is wise (@zz) beyond his years. Gaming forum bars should be done away with since they attract a very seedy element. I think this is evident after the 'Poly Prohibition Policy Procedure of October 2005 that saw sweeping changes implemented in the CIVIII Forum. These were long overdue and we have Gramps to thank for this.
                    Well I do what I can to help
                    Attached Files
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                    X