Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so when is a google level search being implemented?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One only need to refer to my thread to get all the answers.

Comment

Answers are one thing. Uninformed opinion is something else entirely
      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Google search would be good.
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
          Answers are one thing. Uninformed opinion is something else entirely
          I have an answer for the latter problem you face daily.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Just to go back to the original topic ...

Unless they feel like paying Google for the service, there's no way anybody here is going to code google-level search on Poly.

Google's search method is extremely complex, and takes a lot of time to set up. It's great - pretty much the best possible way you could do it, for google - but it's hard to set up.

It requires setting up a Markov matrix for the entire site - and recalling that not every searcher has the same relative angle on things, probably requires several different matrices for the various different major areas of search [civ2, civ3, smac, etc.]

It's not something that's exactly easy to code. Google has a set-up that figures it out from back-links - but i'm guessing they have a patent on that method.

(To put it shortly, Google looks at every page, and how many different pages link to that page -- back-links -- and gives it a rank based on that, and iirc also a rank based on how popular THOSE pages (the back-links) are in terms of back-links, essentially a 2-deep matrix. Pages with higher ranks, ie more pages linking to them, are assumed to be more informative, as clearly more people out there think they're useful ... I'm not quite sure how it develops the more fine-tuned aspects of its relevancy search, but trust me when I say those are patented, also.)

Poly's search is actually pretty good, for a site search - I challenge you to find me a website that's noncommercial that has a better one, that ISN'T using google or similar. It's not great at relevancy searching, but nothing really is ... and the search that you propose in the OP is pretty silly, anyways. Characters and numbers are often ignored by search engines, and who knows where spaces go when people post about +2 industry ... and who knows how many people actually post about "+2 industry" and not some close-but-nonidentical thing. No search is going to give you close-nonmatches unless it can figure out a word similar to your word, and those even on google are shady at best ...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

An exact search for "2 industry" for example came up with several relevant threads.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

I have an answer for the latter problem you face daily.
                I don´t see it as a problem. I see it as a hobby
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                X