This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another arbitrary thread closure

ok. before i get started, first let me say thanks to locutus and smoko for the patience you have both shown thus far.

the 'atheism and religion' thread was recently closed. the reason given was that it had gone off-topic. this is the second time a civ4-'religion' thread has been closed without warning.

parts of the discussion were, without question, well off-topic and i readily confess to being one of the main offenders. however, i was under the impression that such problems were to be dealt with by an initial warning. then, if the problem continued mods would take action at their discretion.

leaving aside the 'definitions and method' trash-talk engaged in by mb and myself, there were other parts of the thread that i personally felt were still very much worthwhile and continued to generate interest among other posters. in particular, there was the discussion between mxm and nbarclay about 'freedom of religion' vs 'secularism.' again, parts of the discussion were getting a bit o.t., but it was, broadly civ-related.

fair enough, the decision about what is, or is not o.t. is subject to the moderators' discretion, but surely we can maintain some basic standards about how such matters should be dealt with.

having the mods just drop in half way through a discussion and close the whole thread without warning , well it's like i'm back in a
    theocratic police state!!!

can we please maintain some basic standards here?
    I don't know what I am - Pekka

I predict this thread gets closed.

But as Ming will no doubt point out, this is a private site and the mods are doing the owner's wishes.

Apolyton... love it or leave it.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

There are already some basic standards... stay on topic and keep off topic discussions in the off topic forum. If the posters can't follow the rules, they should at least learn to deal with it when an off topic thread in the on topic forums get closed.

No warning is needed... people know the rules. If you don't, read the FAQ or ask a mod.

There is a basic standard... and I'm sorry you don't agree with them.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: another arbitrary thread closure

Originally posted by lebensraum
        theocratic police state!!!
        it cant be theocratic cause hardly anyone uses the phrase "FOR MARK'S NAME"...
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

on the topic, consider yourselves lucky that the thread survived in the civ4 forum so long.

we are very far away from the early civ4 discussions were issues like religion could still be broad but relate to the "future civ" theme of the forum. if it doesnt have to with the specific model that civ4 incorporates, it belongs in the OT

feel free to continue your discussion in the OT and send me the url. I'll post it in the closed thread.
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
          X