Loading User Profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading User Profiles

Why is it that trying to view a user's profile takes so much longer than anything else? Even editting didn't take so long back in the day when it was flowing like molassas...

I'd guess that may be because it has to pull data from several different tables. It needs to get the user info from the users' table, the latest post from the posts table, etc. Also, since the user profiles are not accessed very often (not by far, as compared to, say, posts), the actualy table is probably not so well optimized, indexed, and what not.

Just my guess.

Vovan
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

I have noticed -- and I'm not sure if it's coincidence or real -- that more active users' profiles come up faster versus someone who hasn't posted in some time.

When I click my profile, it comes up pretty quickly. Clicking another active member, is not as fast, but can be reasonably fast enough...and some are just slow.slow.slow

Glad someone else noticed this as well...
      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
        I'd guess that may be because it has to pull data from several different tables. It needs to get the user info from the users' table, the latest post from the posts table, etc. Also, since the user profiles are not accessed very often (not by far, as compared to, say, posts), the actualy table is probably not so well optimized, indexed, and what not.

Just my guess.

Vovan
        Wouldn't it be better to drop the last post then, say you could get it from the user's profile but it wouldn't be there by default.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Why not just be patient?
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

There are a few fields that take some time to grab. Lastpost is probably the most timeconsuming field. Since it would have to find the last post in a forum open to the viewer. Thus meaning a cross search over several tables. The time it takes probably depends on the number of posts the user has in total, since it would have to check tem all to know if they were the last post.
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
              Why not just be patient?
              /me looks at Skanky's sig...
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Good one.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I laughed at that also...
                  Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Oops.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                    X