This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This time the ads go to far!

I just had a really annoying experience. With only Apolyton's window open I had a frameless Java ad appear right in the middle of my screen. It wouldn't have been so bad except I couldn't get rid of it nor was it blocked by my pop up blocker.

The only reason I even bothered to install a pop up blocker was that here at Apolyton I was sometimes getting two, three, even four pop ups per click and I finally decided enough was enough. I still view the redirect ads without complaint though I despise seeing pop ups in the redirect ads when I'm already seeing the redirect ad. I also draw the line at having my computer screen hijacked from me by Java ads.

I can only imagine Markos is adding in the new types of ads because so many people have gotten feed up with constant pop ups and have started using Mozilla or installed pop up blockers. I'd suggest making the ads less invasive and maybe you wouldn't motivate so many people into blocking them. As it is I will be adjusting my Java settings to get rid of these new Java ads.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I also occasionally click on the banner ads in order to help contribute but what's with constantly trying to squeeze in more ads? I mean there are banner ads, pop up ads, redirect ads, pop up ads in the redirect ads, and now frameless Java ads which take over the screen at random times.

Is poly doing these Java ads or was it one of the banner advertisers? The Java ads said "Congratulations you are the 10,000 visitor to this web site please click her to receive your $50" or something of that sort. It just was frameless and free floating on the screen and if I scrolled down it would scrolled down to. There was no obvious way to get rid of it.

Comment

There's another thread on this exact same ad.

Solution:
      Close button is located in upper-right corner of your screen.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Hmm, I didn't see it. I'll check closer next time.

BTW is that a macromedia ad or do I have to change the Java settings to get rid of it?

Comment

Okay I'll just say it ahead of anyone else.

Get ApolytonPLUS!
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

If folk are now getting 3 or 4 popups per click, then things have become even more "tacky" since the PLUS regime started. I don't remember it being so bad before. Makes me very glad I got onboard because the site has become even more enjoyable for PLUS subscribers.

Sometimes, the site will drop my login and if I try to open a thread without logging in first, then I see the ads. I got that "You're a Winner!!" box too, but all it took to make it go away was clicking the 'x' box in the top right corner. So I am not so impressed with all the drama over this. Let go of the issue and embrace the solution. And if you really are getting 3-4 popups at a time, perhaps bringing this up without the attitude and threats to leave would find a more receptive ear from the Owners. Why assume they are doing this to you. Every time in the past, when similar things happened, they have fixed it fast. And, BTW, always they ask for a screenshot or details to help focus in on the solution. (That could be a hint. )

Hopefully, this will get resolved quickly for you. God knows, you are dealing with enough now as it is. I wish we could work something out for all you guys "in theater" so that you could get PLUS for the duration.

Monk
            so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

*blinks*

I browse with Firefox, have no problem with popups or annoying ads at all.

Get Firefox, it's cheaper than ApolytonPLUS
              <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
              Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                X