subforum proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subforum proposal

the civ 3 pbem forums are so active these days, it's getting more and more difficult to actually start new games because the threads drop off the first page so quickly, that few people see them. this is very discouraging for not only myself, but other newcomers to the forum as well.

i propose that we split the pbem forum into a turn tracker forum, and a game startup forum.

what do y'all think?
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

I don't visit that forum, but from what you say, that sounds like a good idea.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I don't play Civ3 anymore, but I know that problem very well and I support your idea.

Comment

Don't play in those games and haven't visited the site so please forgive if this is done already, but, can not your objective be accomplished by having the "Starter" threads topped??

Monk
        so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Good idea, this should be done.

Comment

Not sure if the topped thread bug is fixed. If it is not then it may not be a good idea to have many topped thread.
            Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

There is no dedicated mod for the forum either so we would have to pester Ming to top all the starter threads if that ended up being the answer. Plus someone new to the forum might not know to pester a mod to top a thread.

I like the sub-forum idea. A sub-forum just for opening games and discussing the starting parameters would be good for people trying to find games to play that aren't already full. Then after the game starts we post in the thread that it is closed (or ask a mod to close it) and just move over to the turn-tracking forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothaerill
                There is no dedicated mod for the forum either so we would have to pester Ming to top all the starter threads if that ended up being the answer. Plus someone new to the forum might not know to pester a mod to top a thread.
                That doesn't sound like a good solution... too much work

While I don't check that forum as much as I do the OTF, I do look in on a regular basis... and would have to agree that a subforum might be a good idea.

If MarkG doesn't respond in this thread, I will send him a PM outlining the problem and self biased's solution.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Rhothaerill

I like the sub-forum idea. A sub-forum just for opening games and discussing the starting parameters would be good for people trying to find games to play that aren't already full. Then after the game starts we post in the thread that it is closed (or ask a mod to close it) and just move over to the turn-tracking forum.
                  So why not set a couple of the very active players who are somewhat more 'senior' as mods for that forum?

Anyhow, this sounds fantastic.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

this idea has been discussed here and i already sent markg a PM. since then he has contacted rommel and agreed to that. it's just a matter of time now, i guess.
                    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf
                      this idea has been discussed here and i already sent markg a PM. since then he has contacted rommel and agreed to that. it's just a matter of time now, i guess.
                      Ah cool.

I'm not in any of the iron civer games so I missed that discussion.

Comment

Glad to see you checked out my sig...
                        ;-)
                        Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Very good idea... it is amazing how quickly the turn-tracking posts add up.
                          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

you're right, they do add up ... but you've got to spend a hell lot of time playing for each post (micromanaging 30 cities, 80 units, etc)
                            - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                            - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

The Civ3 PBEM forum is very active. Long ago, I've given up trying to find my thread on the list and just use "My Threads" to locate the game thread.

The subforum is a good idea
                              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Working...
                              X