This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Split the "other games" forum

The "Other games" forum is pretty much a textbook example of a forum that should be split in two. As it is now, the forum is used for two purposes both of which are reasonably active and could do with their own forum:

(1) As originally planned, discussion on games other than Civ and its ilk.

(2) "Forum games", various text-based or PM-based games created and maintained by the users of the forums. These include Mafia, Nuclear War, Formula 1, etc.

Forum games are currently distinguished by an "FG" prefix and should be easy to move.

If you feel the forum total is large enough as is, how about moving forum games to the Stories and Diplomacy forum? (It should be suitably renamed, of course.) That forum is practically empty, Diplomacy as played here is pretty close in spirit to the forum games and some of the forum games (The Disease, notably) are very much in the "stories" vein.

P.S. Could you leave "Name That Game" in the Other Games forum?
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

When this has been discussed before the thought has been that OG has been revitalised by FG. Whilst it certainly wasn't dead before, OG threads do get more discussion than before. Personally I think the case for moving FG is weak.

Comment

I find FG to be annoying and there were many succesful threads in normal OG without the FG. It's annoying to sift through threads that many people only post in to raise their post count.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

It didn't bother me before (when there were about three of them) but it's kinda taken over the forum. I go there for Name That Game and actual other games, and it's a lot to sift through.

Comment

Personally I went to Other Games to find out more about Baldur's Gate and after finding out what I could, I read some of the Forum Game threads and was intriged but didn't actually play any of them. I later returned to Other Games and posted a question on MMORPG's and again read a number of the Forum Games and was impressed enough that I now play in about 4 of them (and not just to increase my post count, if after 5 years on these forums I am still a King, I would happily remain a King for the next 5 years I am here). These "Other Games" which are clearly Other Games and belong in this forum, are now labeled for the most part so that you do not have to "sift through" them, it should tell you at a glance which are Forum Games (FG) and which arn't.

I think this question has been asked and answered, and that the Forum Games have added to, not detracted from what is now a key Forum in the Apolyton group of Forums.

Perhaps it would help if (like O/T) the posts in Other Games no longer counted to post counts, but I for one fail to see a problem with the Forum and don't see this as a necessary change (Rah is more then capable of moderating the Forum and minimizing the spammers)

/me , one of many "Other Games" converts
          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

I don't know anyone who doesn't play the forum games who likes them being there though.
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

That is like saying I don't know anyone who doesn't play golf who likes the sport. Granted, if they liked the games they would likely participate, but they don't like them so they don't play, which is fine wheres the problem.

Do you suggest that the people who play the "Forum Games" don't play any of the "Other Games"? I think many of us do. I enjoy reading about the new games (or discussion about older games), and the discussion I read on this forum will influence whether I buy them or not. If not for the Forum Games (which I now check daily), I might never see the threads on such games as "Fallout 3" or "The Elder Scrolls" for instance.
              "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

The forum will still be there if Forum Games aren't. There is no reason you can't view them then. I was fine when there were a handful of forum games, but they are taking up half the forum it seems like now.

Comment

Ill add my support to seperating forum games from OG.

And anyone that says FG suddenly revitalised OG, thats BS. New games released revitalise OG, and if FG are so good at reviving forums then take a look at Stories & Diplomacy forum, if ever a forum needed some reviving....
                  Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                  CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                  One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I couldn't care less about other games, and whether or not they're revitalised. I would, however, support a seperate Forum Games forum, if only to get rid of the damnable FG tags.
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

The FG tag was added to Forum Game thread titles to appease the people that don't play them.

The people that play them were more than happy to have a seperate forum, but Markos said no.

He'll say no now.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

One of the recent games, The Disease I/II/III is very much in the tradition of the neverending stories of Stories and Diplomacy.

and FG stands for frigate!
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I personally like them together. IT's easier to keep an eye on them

I have nixed and deleted some FG games.

And I have participated in the games discussions that I wouldn't have if I had not been there for FGs.

And I was the one that added the FG tag at the request of the whiners. Obviously whiners will always find something else to whine about.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Please, no split up of OG.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I'm not whining, I'm making what I think is a sensible suggestion for the best of the site.

BTW, whine, whine, the FG tag is annoying, whine, whine.

Comment

Working...
                              X