New Post Indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Post Indicator

Why is it that the little glowing thing-bob that shows you there's a new post or a new thread never go away even after you have viewed the thread? It makes it hard to see what I've actually read and what I haven't recently. The only way to make them shut off is the "Mark All Forums Read" link from the main forums page.

Okay, most of the time the problem seems to be in the control panel when you subscribe to forums... it doesn't seem to know when you've already seen all of the new posts/threads.

Comment

Because:
      "Mark All Forums Read"

Should be:

"Mark, All Forums Read!"
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I have this problem sometimes too, and I have another problem too: Sometimes, if I view thread no 1, the light bulb is away aftertwards, but when I am finished viewing thread no 2, it is there again. Then, when I have visited thread no 1 again(without result naturally), thread no 2 is lit again...
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

There is a thread discussing this problem not very long ago, IIRC.
          Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

The way vB2 tracks views of threads it may be confused if you are having more than one forumpage open at the same time...
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I usually have only one page open...
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I usually have several. More than several. Many.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I have many pages open, too. But I do not understand the "problem" under discussion.

Is this about the forum page, where posts are either a 'red' letter box or a 'yellow' one?? Or is it the bulbs next to each post on a thread page?? And why is this a problem?? Most of the posts are so short that, even if your memory is very poor, what's the problem with reading it again?? Especially the more brilliant posts....

Monk
                  so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

The problem is really more significant for a spammer in a spammy forum. Considering the amount of posts they have to read, and the frequency they read and post, it's gonna be a great pain if they are forced to open every other threads repetitively. More specifically, two spammer in a spammy forum would post after each other, and they may even compete in several different threads in the same time. So they really need the red/yellow envelope to see if they have just read it, or if the other spammer has posted in it and it is waiting for his come back. In a battle you just don't have much time to lose.
                    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Thank you, HH.

If we are talking about the red/yellow envelopes, then a good solution is to use the go button at the bottom (rather than back) to get back to the forum. This will mark the threads you read yellow.

I don't know from light bulbs though.

Monk
                      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Working...
                      X