XP Service pack 2 pop-up blocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Service pack 2 pop-up blocking

I've installed service pack 2 at work and home. During my install at home, it said something about blocking pop-ups. I don't think I've seen any pop-ups on Apolyton since the service pack 2 install, but I can't find anything in IE that lets me configure pop-up blocking. I've been allowing pop-ups on Apolyton in the past, and don't want to cost the site revenue. Does anyone know how this is supposed to work?

Edit: OK, further research indicates that there should indeed be pop-up blocker controls within IE. Although I thought I'd updated my work computer, apparently I didn't. It is in fact still running service pack 1, and I am getting a few pop-ups (although not nearly as many as during the last few months).

This is going to be a long-term problem for the site, though, since the blocker in service pack 2 is supposedly enabled by default. As more people upgrade to service pack 2, it will become harder and harder to make money on pop-up ads.
    Last edited by DaveV; August 30, 2004, 14:13.

Hi DaveV. Thanks for the report and note of concern.

While pop-up advertising continues to appear on Apolyton, it is by no means the site's only paying advertisement category at present. Whenever possible we choose campaigns that are neither pop-up nor pop-under, regardless of the content it would deliver.

This has been our philosophy since before Microsoft announced it would introduce pop-up block controls in Internet Explorer as part of XP Service Pack 2, or even before the popularization of alternate browsers such as Firefox that have had this feature for some time.

-----------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Why is Internet Explorer in italics?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Why is Internet Explorer in italics?
        Because it, and Firefox, are titles of computer programs. XP is just a/the short form for WindowsXP, of course, so I did not bother in that instance.

----------
        Dan; Apolyton CS
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

¿Is the SP2 available?
          Cuando un dedo señala la luna, los tontos miran el dedo. (del Mayo francés)

Comment

SP2 has been available for quite some time now.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

And is good or ?

Comment

I have had trouble installing it, I think because I have less than 200MB on my C:

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                  I have had trouble installing it, I think because I have less than 200MB on my C:
                  You do realise that anything less than 20 % of free space on your drive will cost you a lot of performance.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

You do realise that anything less than 20 % of free space on your drive will cost you a lot of performance.
                    Yes I know. Is it possible to repartition a drive without reformatting or anything like that? The drive was partitioned into a C: and a D:, which has an extra 20 GB or so to spare.

Comment

EDIT: N/M
                      Last edited by Verto; September 1, 2004, 08:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

Yes I know. Is it possible to repartition a drive without reformatting or anything like that? The drive was partitioned into a C: and a D:, which has an extra 20 GB or so to spare.
                        Yes, partition magic 8(?) can.
                        Better to have ( at least) 3 partition though: example:

C: windows
                        D: programs ( installed)
                        E: back-up ( Iso's, zip/rar files etc.)
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                          Because it, and Firefox, are titles of computer programs. XP is just a/the short form for WindowsXP, of course, so I did not bother in that instance.

----------
                          Dan; Apolyton CS
                          Firefox is short for Mozilla Firefox, though.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                            Because it, and [Mozilla] Firefox, are [...]
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Today has been released SP2 for XP in spanish language. It have a lot of incompatibilities.

Maybe I prefer to wait for a time before installing it

Comment

Working...
                              X