Unicode...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unicode...

Why isn't Apolyton using unicode as the default charset to use? Wouldn't that make sense, given the international scope of the site?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Given that people technically aren't allowed to use any language other than english, I'd say it makes sense to use the Western European encoding thing or whatever.

Besides, if you look at the source, they are using the following meta tag:

<meta NAME="language" CONTENT="en-us">

That explains the fact that the default encoding is not unicode, doesn't it?
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

No, because that's a metatag for search engines. They'd need to edit apache.

The reason I ask is because the people on Macs use unicode for everything, so when they use non-ASCII chars for like accented e's, they look screwed up by default on non-Macs.

Unicode makes more sense.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        No, because that's a metatag for search engines.
        Not really. In the absence of an explicit encoding tag, the browser chooses apropriate encding depending on the language setting.
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

You mean the templates, right? Not apache...
          cIV list: cheats
          Now watch this drive!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

The reason I ask is because the people on Macs use unicode for everything, so when they use non-ASCII chars for like accented e's, they look screwed up by default on non-Macs.

Unicode makes more sense.
            Aah, I was wondering why Agathon's posts were filled with jumbled garbage.

Comment

That's not always just because of "unicode".

Comment

@Zop;

I think that's what Ixy was implying...
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
                  Not really. In the absence of an explicit encoding tag, the browser chooses apropriate encding depending on the language setting.
                  Which doesn't really matter, because each browser chooses differently (Safari chooses Unicode, IE/Firefox/Mozilla choose Western).

The proper solution is for the HTTP server to define the encoding to be used. Mismatch is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay

Aah, I was wondering why Agathon's posts were filled with jumbled garbage.
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Or they could just use "http-equiv"...
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

For those of us totally clueless about what this all means - what WOULD it hypothetically mean to you or me typing away on Poly?
                        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Nothing mostly, if you use English. It only matters if you want to use certain languages such as Greek or Chinese.

This encoding business tells the browser how certain sequences of bytes should be displayed.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

This is a private site
                            If you want unicode you are free to setup your own site with as much unicode as you like

Nobody forces you to stay here.
                            There is no freedom of unicode-speech here. Live with it.
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

öäåýìíÿáàâãüûùúä

Just a test ...
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X