2021 MLB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 MLB

Might as well start the thread... Inspired to do so by the news that Nolan Arenado is now a member of the St. Louis Cardinals. Huge boost for them.

In other news, Joc Peterson signed with the Cubs ($7million, 1 year), basically getting a slightly faster version of (now-Nationals) Kyle Schwarber for a couple million less.

Pitchers and catchers allegedly report starting February 16th.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Allegedly. I know what you mean and it's correct, but it still sounds funny.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Has anybody heard from Berzerker? He's in a fantasy baseball league with me, but hasn't been heard from in over a week.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The A's failed to re-sign Liam Hendricks, the best closer in the majors, and then signed another overpriced closer. I love being an A's fan
        "

Comment

The White Sox appreciate that.
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I think I just saw history made tonight -- white Sox rookie Yermín Mercedes - a slightly pudgy 28-year old catcher - appeared in his first MLB game as DH tonight -- and went 5-for-5.
            Stuck it out in the minors, finally made a team in spring training -- and made history once he got his shot.

Pretty cool.

Comment

Very cool.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Interesting and entertaining read.

Comment

What do you think of Tony La Russa Jrabbit? He was of course manager of the bash bro A's when I was a kid so I have a fondness for him. He's getting a lot of flak on social media for his managing style now though. I mention it because I'm keeping an eye on Hendricks, who seems to be doing well, but is perhaps being under utilized.
                  "

Comment

Like virtually all of Chicagoland, I was shocked and in strong opposition to bringing back a 76-y.o. manager who had been off the field for over a decade. Proof positive that owner Jerry Reinsdorf cares deeply about his personal narrative, but not so much the team or its fans. I also feel bad for ex-manager Rick Renteria, who was discarded for no discernible reason in order to make this happen - just a couple years after the Cubs had dumped him when Joe Madden became available. But I digress.

I was a big LaRussa fan in his first run with the White Sox, where he had good success as the youngest manager in MLB, getting to the playoffs in his 3rd year (back when getting to the post-season was quite an accomplishment). To this day, I blame broadcaster Ken Harrelson, who got rid of Tony (and pitching coach Dave Duncan) shortly after Hawk was brought down from the booth to replace the general manager (Roland Hemond). The team was off to a mediocre start that year, and Harrelson wanted to make a splash. What a disaster!

I was always bummed and jealous that LaRussa went on to win regularly and convincingly with Oakland and St. Louis. A great manager.

Can he still do it? Is he what this young Sox team needs? Time will tell. But there was no compelling reason to do this. None.

I will say that Tony really pissed me off a couple weeks ago when he threw Yermin Mercedes under the bus for hitting a HR on a 3-0 pitch, late in a blowout win. Telling your opponent to throw at your own guy is, IMHO, way over the line. If that's how you get a young player to "respect the game," then why are opponents allowed to put a non-pitcher on the mound? Talk about disrespect! That's why the "unwritten rule" excuse for not swinging the bat is just nonsense.

Don't know if Tony talked Jerry into this or vice versa, but now LaRussa has his chance to win a World Series for the team that originally hired him. As a Chicagoan, I wish him great luck with that. But the hiring itself stank to high heaven.

Comment

• EPW
                      EPW commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting thanks

The Giants just got royally screwed by the umpires. It may very well be the worst game-ending call in the playoffs ever.
                    "

Comment

It's pretty egregious; the replay is conclusive. Why the hell is a game-ending checked swing not subject to video review???

Flores looked overmatched anyway, but how about letting the players decide the effing outcome?

Comment

Abysmal performance by the umpires. The ump score card says the Dodgers got +.68 runs from ball/strikes calls not even including that final 'strike'. It's past time for the robots to take over.

With the Giants out I'm not sure who I'm going to root for. My favorites going into the playoffs have all been eliminated:

1. Tampa Bay
                        2. White Soxs
                        3. Milwaukee
                        4. San Francisco
                        5. St. Louis

6. Atlanta
                        7. LA
                        8. Boston
                        9. New York
                        10. Houston
                        "

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                          -Jrabbit commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Condolences, man.

Looks to me like we're doomed to have an Astros-Dodgers rematch.

Comment

Glad Atlanta won at least
                          "

Comment

Working...
                          X