MLB 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sox trade Quintana -- to Cubs!

In a stunning development, the Chicago Cubs mortgaged a large chunk of their future Thursday by acquiring prized left-hander Jose Quintana for four prospects.

Those prospects include outfielder Eloy Jimenez and pitcher Dylan Cease, along with infielders Matt Rose and Bryant Flete.
    Pretty rare for any cross-town deal to get done, so this is a stunner. Should work out well for both sides, though.

Chicago Tribune article LINK
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Just proves how wrong all the local radio talking heads were. To a man, they all said there was no way he would end up on the Cubs.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I was wondering yesterday if this might happen, but with their history figured it wouldn't. Glad to see they are willing to deal with each other. Hope it works out for both sides.

Comment

I'd feel better if this was the Jose Quintana we saw last year. But we needed started pitching badly and his contract is friendly and I'm glad we didn't go after Verlander.
          I hate giving up Jimenez but you gotta give to get. I was almost hoping they'd move Russel and let Baez take over at short and let Happ take over at second which could give Zobrist more rest.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            I'd feel better if this was the Jose Quintana we saw last year. But we needed started pitching badly and his contract is friendly and I'm glad we didn't go after Verlander.
            I hate giving up Jimenez but you gotta give to get. I was almost hoping they'd move Russel and let Baez take over at short and let Happ take over at second which could give Zobrist more rest.

Comment

But his last 7 starts have been better. We can always hope.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well that was a good first game. Let's hope there's more of that in the future. It will make the boss look good.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And the White Sox continue the rebuild...

White Sox trade Todd Frazier to Yankees for top prospectsWhite Sox trade Todd Frazier to Yankees for top prospects

Todd Frazier is heading to the Yankees for prospects, with pitchers David Robertson and Tommy Kahnle also part of the deal. CBS Chicago’s Bruce Levine was the first to report the trade.

Yankees prospect Blake Rutherford, the team’s first-round pick in 2016, is one of the major pieces heading to Chicago in exchange. He’s currently hitting .281/.342/.391 for the Charleston RiverDogs in A-ball and New York has reportedly been considering whether it would be willing to move him for win-now assets as the trade deadline approaches.

Tyler Clippard is also part of the package being sent to the ChiSox, as was first reported by Mark Feinsand of MLB.com. The Yankees’ Ian Clarkin is also be heading to the Windy City, according to the New York Post’s Joel Sherman, as well as outfielder Tito Polo who was spending time with the Trenton Thunder. No money will be changing hands.

Clippard’s contract will offset some of Frazier’s and Robertson’s deals. The reliever is currently on a 2-year, $12.25 million deal that is up at the end of this season. Frazier has about $6 million left on his deal and Robertson will be a free agent in 2019 after his current 4-year, $46 million contract.

Other teams had been chasing Frazier doggedly over the last few days, most notably the Red Sox, who still desperately need a third baseman. The first major hint that something was going down appeared when Frazier was seen hugging his teammates and shaking hands in the dugout just as the White Sox were wrapping up batting practice before Tuesday’s game.

New York will be happy to get some relief help, and while Frazier doesn’t perfectly fit its hole at first base, it doesn’t hurt to have him at third where he can trade off with Chase Headley for the time being before the latter (possibly) moves across the diamond.

Of course, besides picking up this quartet of players, the trade has the additional benefit of taking Todd Frazier away from a division rival. That might not have been the primary motivation for the deal, but in the AL East that rivalry is usually on the top of fans’ minds, especially with the Yankees only 3.5 games back from Boston for the division lead.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, I think the fact that Boston was desperately seeking help at third was additional motivation for this one.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Good bye JV, you'll be missed. An era is over in Detroit. Onward, to the future!
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Another great World Series this year. 7 games, plenty of drama - and the Astros finally get their first WS title!

Congrats to Houston!
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

One of the best that I've ever seen..
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Not as good as last years
                            But pretty damn good.

Congrats to Houston.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                            X