How did your team do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did your team do?

They say, no on gets worse in the draft. Calendars do that.

The Chiefs hit every need area, sometimes twice. Only 1 OL, but he's a C. A CB1 and a slot CB. 2 WR and a TE. An ILB and an undetermined LB. No RB. No QB. Only one late round DL.

1.18 DB Marcus Peters Washington
    I like our first pick and could learn to love him. Peters was red flagged for good reason, but we appear to have done our homework.

2.17 OL Mitch Morse Missouri
    In the mock room I have been telling anyone that would listen that #49 was soon enough to draft a C, I just did not expect this one. Again, the prep work seems to be in place.

3.12 WR Chris Conley Georgia
    I like the pick, but not the trade up. Still, a bird in hand may be worth the pick we gave up. We have a real speed guy now.

3.34 DB Steven Nelson Oregon State
    This is my second favorite pick, mostly because he reminds me of Javier Arenas, but cheaper. We can use a small fast slot guy.

4.19 LB Ramik Wilson Georgia
    This is my favorite pick, because he is exactly what we need, exactly where we should get him.

5.36 LB D.J. Alexander Oregon State
    5.37 TE James O'Shaughnessy Illinois State

Alexander intrigues me. Small, but fast, quick and agile. Off most radar for medical reasons as well as his size. He looks like a ST ace and we'll see. Maybe DJ's replace ment. Maybe dimebacker.
    James O is a nice project TE. We needed a young understudy for Kelce. Meh pick tho.

6.41 DL Rakeem Nunez-Roches Southern Mississippi
    This is another pick I really like. Glue guy. High effort, relentless, better athletically than a lot of overachievers. He might be one of those guys that hangs around 10 years without ever starting, because he finds ways to be useful.

7.16 WR Da'Ron Brown Northern Illinois
    Typical last round flier. Small school WR with hands and size, but no speed. Could wash right out or be a ST/WR4 for a long time. Junior Hemingway, look out.

Initial reaction B+

J

The Bears had so many needs, it would be hard for them to go too far wrong. It was a conservative draft for them - didn't take any chances.

The fact that they took more offense than defense indicates the new regime used a 'best player available' approach. No OLB/DE in a draft rich with edge rushers was a surprise and disappointment, but overall, the kid GM seemed to do fine in his first draft.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I agree with that. Most of the "experts" graded Bears draft from B to A and many of the B ones said it was because they didn't get a pass rusher when one was available. But it's a long term process and we'll see what else can be done down the road. No expectations for them at all this year.

Comment

Yeah, when most of the experts are picking them to start the season 1-6, definitely low expectations.

But no place to go but up.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Looking at the schedule, 1-6 is very possible... Sigh...
          Last year, many had high expectations, and it was a horrible year.

This year, I'm not expecting much, so at least I won't be disappointed. And, if they can survive the 1st part of the season
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Drink that Koolaide.

Actually the crappy expectations can only help Jay. If he sucks, everyone will just nod their head saying it was expected.
            If He does well, maybe he can fool people for another 5 years.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
              If He does well, maybe he can fool people for another 5 years.
              NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

3 OL, 2 DB, 2 LB, 2 WR, and a RB. Most of the experts used adjectives such as tough, physical, and/or nasty. Sounds like a good first draft for new god-king General Manager Scot McCloughan.
                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Poly really does need more non-Bears fans.

Pats:

Rd 1 - Malcom Brown (DT) Texas

From all accounts, an outright theft at 1.32. Major knock on him seems to be that he struggles with double teams and so isn't a direct Wilfork replacement, but NE's defensive philosophy is shifting toward a line that gets more pressure on the QB instead of staying at home to stop the run. Between Brown, Easley, and the other DL chosen this year the talk is that Belichick is trying to recreate the Giants' nascar line that beat him in the Superbowl and take some pressure off a secondary that is being forced back into zone by lack of talent.

Rd 2 - Jordan Richards (S) Stanford

Belichick's annual WTF pick. The only justification I've seen is that he's a smart field general type of player who will be a good safety in the box. That will put brains deep with McCourty, in the short zone with Richards, at LB with Mayo, and on the line with...uh...I'll get back to you on that one.

Rd 3 - Geneo Grissom (DE) Oklahoma
                  Rd 4 - Trey Flowers (DE) Arkansas

More guys to hold down the end of the line in the nascar package, most likely as backups though. Hopefully they can provide relief for Jones and Nink since they both played an absurd number of snaps last year. Flowers seems to have slipped, but PFF's metrics gave him the highest grade of any edge defender in the draft.

Rd 4 - Tre Jackson (OG) Florida St
                  Rd 4 - Shaq Mason (C) Ga Tech

The other philosophical change is on the O line. When Scar was coach they valued agility and pulled blockers all the time. The new OL regime seems to value beef up front and wants to run the ball down the other team's throat. I assume the line will be Solder/Jackson/Stork/Mason/Vollmer. I'd also expect to see more of Fleming as a 6th lineman. A bit concerned about pass protection with that group, though.

Rd 5 - Joe Cardona (LS) Navy

Belichick's feel-good pick. Who knows if he ever plays a down. Hopefully he does because the current LS is scary.

Rd 6 - Matt Wells (OLB) Miss St

Drafting for special teams. That said, a guy with good advanced metrics at OLB, depending on where you look.

Rd 6 - AJ Derby (TE) Arkansas

I suspect he'll be mysteriously injured in training camp. If not, that's bad news for Tim Wright, which is too bad since he showed promise with Brady.

Rd 7 - Darryl Roberts (CB) Marshall

Flier on a guy who had good advanced metrics against lower level competition who probably would have gone higher if he'd played at another school. Pats still need corner help, but I don't think it was available in this draft when they were picking. Hopefully the guys who showed potential over the last few years (Butler, Dennard) learned something from Revis while he was in town. Pats don't have a corner over 6' tall on the roster right now.

Rd 7 - Xzavier Dickson (DE) Alabama

Loses points for indecisiveness. You can have an X, or you can have a Z. Both together is just redundant.
                  "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Belichick usually works his magic on UDFAs and the Patriots don't have many roster spots available, so will be interesting to see what the team does heading into OTAs and Training Camp.

Comment

Well, they just dropped Dennard, so I have to assume there will be a trade at some point. Possibly during the season, even.
                      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Working...
                      X