Apolyton Fantasy Football Keeper League discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolyton Fantasy Football Keeper League discussion

Clipping out of the other thread so we can get a clearer idea of who/what would be involved.

Just to be clear, we're talking about an independent entity, not a replacement for IDP or DST.

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
    I am willing to join a keeper league. I am even willing to start it, if there's sufficient demand - but I'd be perfectly happy to join someone else's.
    [...]
    I am willing to host a league again. I would slightly prefer doing a live draft or auction, honestly. The draft threads are fun but they're very time-consuming.
    Jaguar sounds like our host, if we want to do it. People who have expressed interest:

Koy
    Jaguar
    Slowwhand
    MRT1944
    Berz?
    Snoopy

Any other recruits who want to try something different for Poly? Jag, what would you consider "sufficient demand"?
    Last edited by snoopy369; July 23, 2013, 10:43. Reason: Added MRT
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

How about a succinct opening statement of what the rules might actually be?
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Sounds like a Jag question in this case.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I'd be in if we got to at least 10. Hopefully 12.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Questions to answer:
          1. Draft or Auction (Auction is a bit more balanced with keepers, as you can keep your keepers for ($ last year + $ inflation each year). My current keeper league works this way, $5 premium each year for each keeper. This allows really good players to usually be on the market each year since Aaron Rodgers for (Market Price + $5) is more than he'd go for (Market Price) this year, etc., but the midlevel guys that outperform and the rookies who turn into stars are real steals (this year I have Adrian Peterson for about half price due to the injury from last year, Steven Ridley for $7, Matt Ryan for $19, and Randall Cobb for $10 for example). If it's draft, then you either lose your first round(s) pick(s) as a result of keeping players (so if you keep fewer players you get more early picks) or you lose the round the keeper was drafted at (so, for example, a 3rd round pick loses you the 3rd round pick or perhaps the 2nd round pick next year).
          2. Number of keepers. I like the idea of having around 3-5 keepers; enough that it's interesting but not so much that a really good team just stays really good automatically. This also interacts with the Draft or Auction question; in Draft I prefer fewer keepers, since they tend to imbalance things more (as it's harder to balance them properly) and the draft needs to stay interesting in some fashion.
          3. What rules are we playing by? D/ST's rules are my suggestion, as is, but of course that is open for debate. I don't like doing IDP with keeper league as it's more complex (thus higher barrier to entry for an already higher barrier league).
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, I would prefer D/ST for the keeper league as well.

Am somewhat ambivalent about the other options mentioned.

Comment

I'm kind of looking for a league that uses an approximation of "standard scoring" -- just for a change.

Jag's scoring system is fun and interesting, but IMHO pretty idiosyncratic.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I would say 3 keepers max. 3 allows a QB, WR and RB at the very least.

One two things that can happen in keepers is either stagnation from great players being that much better at picking for the future and the bad teams remain bad or the the opposite where keepers are an insignificant blip on the overall scheme because everyone is bad.

The other situation is where bad players leapfrog exponentially because they took The Bresus with their first pick and 2 decent RBs and a WR (How I won the CivFanatics Keeper league last year. I kept Lynch and DeSean Jackson and drafter Doug Martin and Drew Brees. I won handily but was in last place last year) Ideally you want a keeper league to have a natural pecking order over time but where anything is reasonably likely.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I wouldn't object to a simpler version (though I think Jag's scoring is actually pretty well balanced and not that hard to follow, compared to some), but there isn't a "standard scoring" anymore. ESPN, Yahoo, etc. all have different "standards".

If we simplified it, we still have to decide:
                  • Passing TDs: 4 or 6?
                  • PPR? 1? 0.5?
                  • PPRushYd: 1/10 or 1/20?
                  • PPRecYd: 1/10 or 1/20?
                  • Defensive scoring yds+points or just points? Kick/punt return yds/scores?
                  • Count return yards/TDs with offensive player? As well?
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hey, I played Jag's system for the first time last year and won (Auction league), so you won't find me objecting to the scoring per se.

All I'm saying is, when I add another league to my commitments, I like it to provide some diversity. And something classically vanilla might be interesting -- no PPR, no IDP, traditionally worthless D/ST. I'm intrigued by the idea of "fantasy football classic." Just a thought.

Comment

I can fill out a keeper league if it is D/ST. If full I can also sit out.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X